Ugh, just spent $100 on sub box building supplies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I checked with every place (including Lowe's and Home Depot) that sells lumber in our local area today, and none of them have veneered MDF in stock. They all said they either don't sell it, or they'd have to order it. I did find a place about 45 miles away that has it, and holy crap, it's $58 for a 4x8 sheet! I never would've thought it was that expensive.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: Jointers and plywood.

eStatic said:
:dead: Using a jointer on plywood not only ruins the wood and knives it can throw or twist the wood in such a way and with such violence that it can force your hand into the knives. Don't even think about doing it. :dead:

Got any references for this? I have to ask 'cos I have been using biscuits in plywood for years with no problems, and if there is a real safety issue I would like to know.

Re: Re: Jointers and plywood.

grampi said:
$58 for a 4x8 sheet! I never would've thought it was that expensive.

I thought that it was ridiculously priced too, until I priced decent veneer, not to mention my time.

pinkmouse said:

Got any references for this? I have to ask 'cos I have been using biscuits in plywood for years with no problems, and if there is a real safety issue I would like to know.

He said Jointer not Biscuit Joiner. ;) I concur with the recommendation not to trim plywood on a jointer, but bisquit joinery is as safe as any other material. I clean up plywood edges with a circular saw or router guiding on a straightedge clamped to the stock.

The December Fine Woodworking's jigs suppliment has a nice jig that amounts to a poor man's panel saw, along with others less appropriate for speaker building.

We stock oak MDF or 7-ply plywood for about $45 a sheet for A-1, I'd guess we probably pay about $35 a sheet for it. $54 isn't that bad as long as it isn't shitty stock. I have no idea what oak veneer runs for - veneering isn't worth my time. It's easy to screw up, it doesn't look as nice in the end, and it's a pain. I hate laminating work as it is, from the smell of the contact cement to the annoying little trim routers. You can always paint - MDF and baltic birch both paint nicely. However don't try to butt two pieces together, as you'll get paint lines, better off just leaving a lip.

pinkmouse: On a side note, they are called "plate jointers" often too, but a jointer is a much older much more common wood-working tool.

I love biscuit joinery! I use it mostly with our beloved mdf and solid woods.

I have a question on biscuit joinery in plywood. When inserted into a slot cut in the edge of a piece of plywood, does the swelling of the biscuit during glue-up compromise the laminations of plywood? I have always wondered.

What a very cool place this is!

eStatic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.