RCA Subwoofer problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a RCA subwoofer I am fixing for somebody. It was given to me not working. It has a 200W amp, and a 12inch sub speaker. The amp worked fine, but the problem was the speaker. The negative input wire connecting to the cone from the input pins on the spaker had a bad connection. I soldered it, and finally got it to work. The impedence of the speaker is 4-ohm, and my DMM measured 4.5. when I wiggled the wire it would jump around from 4.5 to around 5.5 ohm. Is this bad for the amplifier? Would it be better to just buy a car sub from cirucit city or best buy and replace it? I do notice that the speaker rattles if turned too loud and don't know if it is the bad connection or bad speaker. It could be just do to the fact that RCA does stand for Really Crappy Appliances :D

Should I just buy a new speaker?

(In case you're wondering what soundNERD means when he says the new woofer won't fit the box, consider this: There is more to a driver ditting in a box than the frame size. There are various electromechanical parameters that the woofer has, and the box is sized and tuned to those electromechanical parameters such that the driver delivers the flattest, most extended frequency response possible.)

I am pretty sure that RCA wouldn't spend too much time designing a perfectly tuned box. i mean, come on, its an RCA sub.

I didn't buy a new speaker yet. The thing is just that with the current one, when one of the wires connecting to the cone from the connection pins is jiggled, the resistance changes. I don't think that that is right. I was thinking that it might be better to just go and buy a new sub speaker.

About the rattling, I almost thought it was something like that, but is is a cheap speaker with a small magnet, so maybe it just can't go that loud. The speaker and the amp are tightened as tight as they were originally from the factory, so I am pretty sure it is the speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.