My first subwoofer. Peerless xls10 in passive radiator application - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2013, 09:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My first subwoofer. Peerless xls10 in passive radiator application

Hi.
It's my first audio project done ever. I designed and build it myself. Inspiration was taken from few other projects.
Driver - Peerless xls10
Passive Radiator - Scan Speak Discovery 10
Amplifier - custom build 300W into 4Ohm
Built of double 18mm MDF, Faux leather, Gloss Acrylic
Capacity 20 litres!
Tune to 21Hz

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 1st May 2013, 09:49 PM   #2
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

what are you doing to keep the PR from being pulled down by gravity?
Old 1st May 2013, 09:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Old 1st May 2013, 09:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
what are you doing to keep the PR from being pulled down by gravity?
PR is mounted*vertically

Last edited by 131183914; 1st May 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 1st May 2013, 10:16 PM   #5
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Something is facing down... I can't tell what is what from the diagram, since I can't read that language, sorry. Looks like the active driver. Regardless, whatever is facing down will not long resist the effects of gravity upon the suspension. Rotating the design 90 degrees on axis would correct that... Also the interaction with the floor may or may not be beneficial depending on the room and the floor.

Forgot to say, it is a very attractive implementation...
Old 1st May 2013, 11:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Looks like the active driver. Regardless, whatever is facing down will not long resist the effects of gravity upon the suspension. Rotating the design 90 degrees on axis would correct that... Also the interaction with the floor may or may not be beneficial depending on the room and the floor.
Thanks. You're right and i'm fully aware of that. However down firing applications are quite common and I think my driver will keep its performance for a good while..
Clearance between floor and driver it's 85mm but will be extended to 100mm in total.
The only reson i decided to build downfiring subwoofer was to keep it in small capacity (20liters)

Last edited by 131183914; 1st May 2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 2nd May 2013, 01:58 AM   #7
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

the volume stays the same if the woofer fires out a side that is not facing down.

the usual method is to make the woofer front firing, so that it combines properly if it is used up to the midbass... but a side will still work, and then the PR can be on the opposite side or an adjacent wall...

fwiw, the higher the mass of the cone (lower the F3) the more difficult it is for the suspension to resist the gravitational force over time... common or not it is a problem...

Also, for equal diameter PR and woofer, the PR will run out of excursion before the woofer.... so its a good idea to go at least one diameter up or two... even with the larger excursion PRs available today. That would be like a 12" woofer ---> 18" PR.

Enjoy ur subwoofer!!

_-_-bear
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the usual method is to make the woofer front firing, so that it combines properly if it is used up to the midbass... but a side will still work, and then the*PR*can be on the opposite side or an adjacent wall...
I thought about that.. but simply didn't like the idea of woofers mounted on the opposite sides.

Quote:
Also, for equal diameter*PR*and woofer, the*PR*will run out of excursion before the woofer.... so its a good idea to go at least one diameter up or two... even with the larger excursion PRs available today. That would be like a 12" woofer ---> 18"*PR.*
How about an extra weight. According to my simulation adding extra 200g should solved that problem

Quote:
Enjoy ur subwoofer!!*
Now i won't enjoyed unless i solve all problems

Last edited by 131183914; 2nd May 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 6th May 2013, 07:03 PM   #9
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

whoops, thought I replied... hmmm where did it go?

adding mass to the PR lowers the resonant frequency, making the suspension need to work harder to keep it in place, also adding mass lowers the resonant frequency, increasing the excursion. So the combination of a 12" main driver and an 18" PR is useful since the 12" can't possibly move enough air IF it is tuned sufficiently low...

_-_-
Old 9th July 2014, 10:18 AM   #10
yoke is online now yoke  Croatia
diyAudio Member

@ 131183914
how do you like this small sub ?

Hide this!Advertise here!