charting progress on my DIY subwoofer. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2003, 04:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default charting progress on my DIY subwoofer.

As a few of you know i have been building a sub lately and having a bit of a hard time. but i thought i would put my progress up here for comments and suggestions and what-not.

It all started with my wife moaning about the 5' sonotube subwoofer in our front room, although she called it the big ugly tube. anyways, we moved so i tore the amp and speaker out of it and decided after a lot of deliberation, to try my hand at a passive radiator. i have built everything (almost) but a PR box. I had a couple of 15" MTX's around that i thought i could use, so off i went!

I decided to go with 2 layers of 3/4" mdf for extra strength. the picture here is the humble begining of the inside layer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phto0003.jpg (81.6 KB, 594 views)
Old 30th November 2003, 04:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

i had all the pieces pre-cut by the lumber yard because i only have a jigsaw and if you have ever tried to make a speaker box with a jigsaw then you know why i didn't. making the cutouts was easy cuz the inside box isn't as critical as the outside box.
here is the completed inner box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phto0004.jpg (81.5 KB, 570 views)
Old 30th November 2003, 04:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

here is my little baby Isabella on the inner box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phto0011.jpg (81.6 KB, 592 views)
Old 30th November 2003, 04:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

here is the bracing on the top of the box, plenty enough i hope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phto0009.jpg (83.0 KB, 577 views)
Old 30th November 2003, 04:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

bottom bracing, i went kind of crazy and covered the entire inside with 2 layers of peel and seal roofing stuff. hope it works well, as of this point the box weighs about 60lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phto0013.jpg (81.8 KB, 544 views)
Old 30th November 2003, 05:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

skip a few days ahead..... I had my first experience with routing, here's a tip for you people, DON'T USE A ROUTER IN A SMALL CLOSED GARAGE!!! I didn't really notice too much because i was pretty loaded, but the dust (evident the next day, it was everywhere) was thick in the air. I routed the speaker cutouts a bit too shallow but it is too late to go back now, i returned the router already. did it all free hand, without any guide but a pencil. all the sanding was done by hand, even the little edge on the top of the box in the picture. it is almost ready for painting, a few more hours of sanding and wood filler oughta do it. I tried tuning the PR's but they kept throwing in the towel. so i have ordered two stryke audio 15" PR's weighted at 1050grams. I think it looks better than anything i have built before and i am quite proud, just thought i would share it. More updates to come!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phto0021.jpg (82.1 KB, 539 views)
Old 30th November 2003, 09:26 AM   #7
michael is offline michael  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to michael
might i ask what driver your puttign in the box? looks great by the way, cant wait to see it up and running
Im currently building my new subwoofer as well, might post my pics up pretty soon.
Old 30th November 2003, 05:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have a dayton 15" DVC model. I am planning on upgrading eventually to a tempest some day, and from there..... the mighty Timult and a 1k watt amp!!! muhaaaahAAAAAA. but yeah, for now it is just a dayton dvc 15"er.
Old 30th November 2003, 11:13 PM   #9
michael is offline michael  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to michael
how do the daytons sound? i have not heard much as i live in australia and we have limited driver ranges around, though ALOT of diyers are from australia
Old 1st December 2003, 12:06 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

they sound loud! in the previous enclosure i had the gain turned barely up at all and during movies and stuff it was just too much, i turned the subwoofer control on my reciever down to -6db and it was perfect. bass quality is kind of hard for me to judge, i guess it depends on the enclosure, but overall i would say that they are excellent. kelticwizard informed me that my dayton may be a tempest clone, once apon a time eminence owned dayton or something like that. they look similar, but i don't think the dayton has an extended pole piece(bumped back plate? same thing?)...if you look at the bottom of woofers/subs with an extended pole piece, there is a raised area around the venting in the pole piece. the dayton doesn't have this bump. anyways, if i had my druthers, next time i would have bought a tempest/tumult(US$400!).
I can't wait to hear them in the new enclosure, i hope it sounds good. i tried to do a freq response graph and there was a huge dip in it at about 60hz. but we'll see if it changes with the new PR's. I wan't to feel the tyrannosaurus stomping around in the living room!

Hide this!Advertise here!