Confused help needed - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2013, 11:48 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virumflame View Post
... we would like a feel that boom everytime the bass drops.
Just to set some realistic expectations here, with a 20 watt amp playing an outside festival your chances of feeling anything are zero percent. Even if you sit on the box you won't feel much of anything. You'll be lucky if it's even loud enough to hear clearly over the noise of the crowd. And it's going to get worse as the battery wears down.

Also, it's very hard to design a good passive crossover if you've never done it before, and crossing a 15 inch driver to a tweeter is an extra challenge that most pros wouldn't even consider trying.

So you've got a lot of work ahead. Good luck.
Old 24th April 2013, 12:44 AM   #12
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a guy View Post
Just to set some realistic expectations here, with a 20 watt amp playing an outside festival your chances of feeling anything are zero percent. Even if you sit on the box you won't feel much of anything. You'll be lucky if it's even loud enough to hear clearly over the noise of the crowd. And it's going to get worse as the battery wears down.

Also, it's very hard to design a good passive crossover if you've never done it before, and crossing a 15 inch driver to a tweeter is an extra challenge that most pros wouldn't even consider trying.

So you've got a lot of work ahead. Good luck.
I totally missed this about the fisher price/tonka amplifier, LOL. I totally agree with the above statement. You'd feel things more if you pounded your fists on a large empty cardboard box.
Old 24th April 2013, 07:25 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Get a generator. I have experience with this kind of thing. You can find cheap ones from China online for $200 that will do 1800W continuous power through awful torture if you look hard enough and be smart about what you're buying. That's enough to actually run a sound system since amplifiers' actual power requirements are not as high as their rated output due to magic in their power supplies.

Without that, you're better off just opening your car doors and turning up the radio.
Old 24th April 2013, 02:24 PM   #14
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

if you have only 20 watts,i would consider something like the ss15 th.
just don't know if it works for that driver.
Old 24th April 2013, 02:43 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epa View Post
if you have only 20 watts,i would consider something like the ss15 th.
just don't know if it works for that driver.
He wants to make a 2 way with an unspecified tweeter so an ss15 isn't going to work even if it's a huge horn loaded tweeter (which I suspect it's not).
Old 24th April 2013, 03:08 PM   #16
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

its not going to work properly anyway.
show me a 15"driver with proper extension to 2~3 khz....
me thinks he wants to get as loud as posible,don't think quallity is the goal here
Old 24th April 2013, 03:58 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Right, but he's looking to waste a bunch of money on lead acid batteries that can't possibly power even a modest system when gasoline generators cost so little. First, get a proper power supply, then build speakers.
Old 24th April 2013, 06:05 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epa View Post
its not going to work properly anyway.
show me a 15"driver with proper extension to 2~3 khz....
me thinks he wants to get as loud as posible,don't think quallity is the goal here
There's a bunch of pro 15's that will get up there. I don't know how "proper" it is to do so but it's possible. The bigger problem is one of dispersion, necessitating a horn (or waveguide) for the tweeter. But if you are using a waveguide you might as well get one that allows a 1khz crossover, they don't cost much.

Plastic SEOS DIY Sound Group

I'm not sure what is available in the OP's location for a reasonable price but I'd suggest a kit of some kind since (as you mention) it's not going to work properly anyway.

But using a bass horn (like the ss15) with a conventional tweeter has absolutely no chance of even being listenable. The bass horn would be a nice touch if it was added to what he is already planning (with it's own amp and active crossover), but not as a replacement for what he is planning.

Anyway, I think he IS hoping for quality - he just doesn't realize yet that it's impossible to achieve with what he is planning.
Old 24th April 2013, 06:23 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragermeister View Post
Right, but he's looking to waste a bunch of money on lead acid batteries that can't possibly power even a modest system when gasoline generators cost so little. First, get a proper power supply, then build speakers.
A quick search (less than 2 minutes) and I found a couple available under $200 (in my country) but I'm going to assume that this is going to double the proposed budget. (I'm assuming he isn't going to buy batteries, but use one that is already available.)

Regardless, the cheapest generator on the market probably isn't a good idea, it might even destroy the amp(s) since that's really not what it's made for. Also, generators are very noisy, the cheapest of them are probably incredibly noisy, and I'm not sure that raising the noise floor is the right direction to go.

If it were me I'd be looking for somewhere to plug in. If it's not possible to plug in I'd be looking into a couple of different situations, both of which use 12 volt systems.
1. Borrow a battery bank from someone that has a solar system and/or
2. Run it directly off a car.

#1 will be hard or impossible (it's not likely that anyone would let their battery bank go for the day or weekend) and #2 would use a lot more gas than a small generator but it would be very quiet in comparison and probably have much more stable power output.

Audio systems that need to play loud outdoors without plugging into a socket connected to the electrical grid are not easy or inexpensive, this is going to be a challenge for sure.

Hide this!Advertise here!