3 way subwoofer - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2013, 05:19 PM   #11
mantha3 is offline mantha3  United States
diyAudio Member

I have... Not ideal where they are now. I was thinking long term of a sub that handles the low end well and having that to the rear of the room perhaps...
Old 15th April 2013, 05:34 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantha3 View Post
I have... Not ideal where they are now. I was thinking long term of a sub that handles the low end well and having that to the rear of the room perhaps...
The problem with having three ported subs of different tuning is the phase response of each will be different, and therefore may not combine well, and the tuning (Fb) must be as low as what you want to reproduce.

If you build a third sub with a Fb of say 20 Hz, the other two will be "flapping" down that low.
Old 15th April 2013, 07:36 PM   #13
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adason View Post
the title of this thread is misleading
you are using multiple heavily overlaping subs, this in no way qualifies as multi-way sub
I have seen commercial 2-way subs, but not 3-way
that is nonsense
non-sense it is. Too much pipe-dreaming going on here unless you're running some super duper top-notch state-of-the-art sound system that would actually require something of this magnitude, a pair of high-quality subwoofers like the TC sounds units would be more than adequate to handle pretty much anything. Doesn't even have to be those that I linked to, for they make a wide range of sizes.
Old 16th April 2013, 03:50 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

You should be able to replace both subs with a single large bass reflex design to cover around 15-18hz up to 150-200 hz without any problems. Dual 15's or a single low tuned 18" or 21" should be great. Having an EQ on the sub and enough headroom to use it is very important, as well as time alignment with your mains.
Old 16th April 2013, 04:50 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

No chance are these going anyplace. Love these things big time and the sound is something special. The Morel I could see moving to the rear of the room but that JBL 2242 sub is staying put. Every time I listen to that thing it sounds better to me. If I could find someting to complement it in the lower hZ range I'd toy with the idea. I don't know if I'll bother with anything. This is my centerpiece subwoofer in my mind. If adding a sub with another make / model is not ideal then another 2242 sub perhaps down the road.

Thanks all and sorry for the randomness of this thread.
Old 16th April 2013, 05:28 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

No idea if you're using a crossover on not on this setup..............?

Anyway, you should be fine with a 4645 alone if you install a longer port or smaller diameter port (with flares) to decrease tuning to about 18-20hz, then use a proper processor with highpass and lowpass filters, and an equalizer to tune it in as needed.

You are doing something VERY wrong if you think you need 3 subs.
Old 16th April 2013, 06:26 PM   #17
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No chance are these going anyplace. Love these things big time and the sound is something special. The Morel I could see moving to the rear of the room but that JBL 2242 sub is staying put. Every time I listen to that thing it sounds better to me. If I could find someting to complement it in the lower hZ range I'd toy with the idea. I don't know if I'll bother with anything. This is my centerpiece subwoofer in my mind. If adding a sub with another make / model is not ideal then another 2242 sub perhaps down the road.

Thanks all and sorry for the randomness of this thread.
I agree that JBL subwoofers sound fantastic for the most part, but you just simply picked the wrong driver for your requirements---it doesn't have the linear excursion to get down to where you want it to go without having to sacrifice something in the process. If you want to keep it JBL-brand, there is one pro-audio JBL (2269 I think) that does have much increased excursion, and utilizes a Differential Drive motor which likely has even less distortion than a 2242.
Old 16th April 2013, 10:13 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It is misleading...

I would just have 3 ported subs... I think what I have is primarily lacking some lower end

I have a 4.5 cu foot box ported running a Morel Ultimate UW 1258 12" Subwoofer
YOU HAVE SOMETHING WRONG.
Your woofer goes down in frequency to 10/12Hz if properly tunned in the right box (int. volume), at the trade of compared low sensitivity. A bad tunned box ported system can be the problem for the low extension or lower F3 than it should (higher tunning) with consequent low freq. extension. Check your internal (vol.) total without the vent volume+driver volume+wood thickness of all the parts that are inside. Tunned port should be equal to or lower than 20Hz for nice smooth low extension.
MOREL UW 1258
Another driver with more 5dB's sensitivity than the Morel
Scanspeak 32W/4878T00

All this drivers are machines for lower than 20Hz extensions so what you have is a lot of talk, playing outside or difficult sized/shaped auditorium, amplification is not enough for the woofers or tunning.
You need amps power (minimum) Pmin=400.0 W in 7/8 Ohm for the Morel and 3/4 Ohm for the SS.
How much is the amp you are using with the driver.
Old 17th April 2013, 12:28 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Scanspeak... Love that brand!

No, nothing wrong... Digging things and the sound goes low... Just talking about something for the extreme low end for talk and not much more.
Old 17th April 2013, 01:37 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

As adason said position or the nulls/phase of the speakers/drivers might have something to do. I don't believe you need more low frequencies, you might have it ill balanced with the fullrange speakers. Please have it addressed in a way you/we can follow, checking (problems) one by one. I think some of them you mention already, like areas/height.
How much W is the amp you are using with your driver?

Hide this!Advertise here!