Difference Between 1850 and 186 FOLDED HORN!!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2013, 02:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Difference Between 1850 and 186 FOLDED HORN!!!!

Could someone please tell me the difference between the two designs? and what benefits these would give me if i built them.

I will be building some this weekend (week)
Old 5th April 2013, 03:11 PM   #2
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

You might ask at speakerplans where the designs are hosted. Outside the UK/eurozone those drivers are $$$$ so not many use them.
Old 5th April 2013, 04:17 PM   #3
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

The 186 should give you higher output, when used with the recommended higher-BL drivers. The 1850 horn was re-tuned to accomodate lower-BL drivers (including Eminence). I fooled around with using it for Omega Pro drivers breifly, but dropped it in favor of something more like the Tuba36 with a 15" instead of an 18. Those old-school horn designs really need the stronger motors.
Old 5th April 2013, 04:39 PM   #4
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

ask at speakerplans.com
Old 5th April 2013, 10:52 PM   #5
PASC is offline PASC  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Hi!

The 186 should give you higher output, when used with the recommended higher-BL drivers. The 1850 horn was re-tuned to accomodate lower-BL drivers (including Eminence). I fooled around with using it for Omega Pro drivers breifly, but dropped it in favor of something more like the Tuba36 with a 15" instead of an 18. Those old-school horn designs really need the stronger motors.
Unquote

Ins't not the inverse?
If I remember Rog Mogale made them:
1850 has a bit minus back Vb, made for PD1850 less extension down and more SPL.
1856 has a bit bigger back Vb, made for the 186 goes a bit lower in extension, with a bit minus in SPL.
After Void made a better one called Lonney with a driver like Void18/1000, a mule kick in your face.
Click the image to open in full size.

Made four mod 1850, with a bit morew back Vb and are very good speakers.
In a stack of four with correct cross could easy do it from 40 to 100Hz very well. Above a bit onky.
Made 2 T36 trying several drivers innit. No way. Nothing down low. HD 15 performs better with less than half the volume of the box. Firing the wood was the better ideia.
Post some photos of the burning beside jbell's ones.
Wayne Parham made some curves of this things performance in a subwoofer shoutout.
Some days after it dissapears from BF site.

Regards,
Old 6th April 2013, 12:02 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClackS02 View Post
Could someone please tell me the difference between the two designs? and what benefits these would give me if i built them.

I will be building some this weekend (week)
I'd be more interested in the similarities. Neither one will go below 50 hz. Kind of adequate for PA for bar band old style rock music but not much else.

It will need a steep high pass filter probably around 60 hz, once that's in place it will already be down at least 3 db at 60.

IMO basically useless for any type of modern music.
Old 6th April 2013, 12:23 AM   #7
PASC is offline PASC  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Hi!

One box:
105dBs 50 till 200 +-2dBs

Speakerplans.com

Imagine a stack of four.

Regards,
Old 6th April 2013, 01:44 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Speakerplans.com

The low knee is around 70 hz. It's already about 5 db down at 50 hz. Add a 60 hz highpass filter and it will be 5 db down at 60 hz.

Add 3 more (stack of 4) and it will be 12 db louder and it will go about 2 hz lower.

Like I said, useless for any type of modern music. Very loud but it's not a subwoofer. I'd call it a midbass horn.
Old 6th April 2013, 04:06 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

And 956mm x 636mm x 750mm isn't really small either....
(38" x 25" x 29.5")

Pretty sure a Danley TH-118 betters that in the same size format.... Well slightly different, but very similar. (40x22.5x28.5")
Old 8th April 2013, 12:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a guy View Post
Speakerplans.com

The low knee is around 70 hz. It's already about 5 db down at 50 hz. Add a 60 hz highpass filter and it will be 5 db down at 60 hz.

Add 3 more (stack of 4) and it will be 12 db louder and it will go about 2 hz lower.

Like I said, useless for any type of modern music. Very loud but it's not a subwoofer. I'd call it a midbass horn.
all your posts are very interesting, and i have tried asking on speaker plans and no one seems to want to reply! but this forum seems a lot nicer

I have also tried contacting the designer but im guessing these are old plans!!!

So you think that folded horns would be a bad idea for a DJ playing house and dubstep ?

Any suggestions ?

Hide this!Advertise here!