Difference Between 1850 and 186 FOLDED HORN!!!! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2013, 12:46 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Furthermore.... i have just bought a load of http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber/sheet-materials/Temperate-Hardwood-Ply-L-2440-x-W-1220-x-T-18mm-9276281

is that overkill or ideal? i know some ply can just fall apart :/ and MDF sucks !

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th April 2013, 01:43 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

The 1850 horn was ment to be used in stacks of four. The 186 horn sounds "warmer" and is more suited to be used with less cabinets. High pass at 50 Hz for a single 1850 horn, 40 - 45 Hz for a stack of four (24 dB/octave or more), around 45 Hz for a single 186 horn.

For dubstep you probably would miss that lower "umph", for most house music it will be sufficient.

With four 1850 horns and correct drivers, you'll have a "long throw" indoor and outdoor setup.

How many layers (laminates) does that ply have?
Old 8th April 2013, 02:58 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

The ply has i believe 7-10 layers (a lot) its heavy !!! and cost a lot, but i got it for cheap as it was on the wrong shelf thank you B&Q.

See, i would like to get the lows, but being able to throw long is a nice idea and a must if doing gigs outside or in large areas
Old 8th April 2013, 03:29 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

First of all, stop calling them folded horns. ALL the horn subs are folded - the front loaded horns, the rear loaded horns and the tapped horns are all folded. These are front loaded horns.

Front loaded horns are fine for house and dubstep. THESE particular front loaded horns that you have chose are not good for much of anything.

Like I told you a month ago, you need to state your goals clearly if you want any recommendations. Difference between Super Scoop and Folded Horn Subwoofers
As far as I know you haven't attempted to answer a single question I asked yet.

The 3 main questions are -
1. budget (do you already have the drivers and how much money do you have?)
2. required spl (required spl at the furthest distance of interest)
3. required frequency response

#3 is the one in question with these horns you've chosen. You can analyse your music with software to see how low it goes and determine from there how low you want your subs to go. The lower you go the larger and more expensive the system is going to be.

For an idea of what this will sound like, if you have a system that's relatively flat and a multi band eq, you can use the eq to bring 60 hz down by 3 db and everything below 60 hz pull it down all the way. The eq will probably only let you pull the lower bass down 12 db (which isn't nearly enough to reflect how bad these subs will be) so listen to that and imagine even LESS low bass and decide if that's what you want.

These speakerplans horns will pound you silly above 60 hz but they won't do anything below 50 hz at all. If it were me, I'd shoot for extension down to AT LEAST 35 hz for modern music. There are lots of horn subs that can do that, which one to pick depends on how loud it needs to be.
Old 8th April 2013, 03:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rademakers View Post
The 1850 horn was ment to be used in stacks of four. The 186 horn sounds "warmer" and is more suited to be used with less cabinets. High pass at 50 Hz for a single 1850 horn, 40 - 45 Hz for a stack of four (24 dB/octave or more), around 45 Hz for a single 186 horn.

For dubstep you probably would miss that lower "umph", for most house music it will be sufficient.

With four 1850 horns and correct drivers, you'll have a "long throw" indoor and outdoor setup.

How many layers (laminates) does that ply have?
I haven't simmed these horns but I'm confident that a 50 hz highpass will not protect them adequately. A 60 hz highpass might do it, but all front loaded horns need a highpass a bit higher than the low knee.

In a stack of 4 these MIGHT be flat down to 50 hz with the high pass filter in place (since a stack of 4 will bump up the lower bass a bit).

I guess you could call that "sufficient" for most music but it's clearly the wrong tool for the job for dubstep (and I suspect most of his music is going to be like that).

Last edited by just a guy; 8th April 2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 9th April 2013, 06:35 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

1 - budget, doesn't matter an ongoing project
2 - spl over 100, looking around 140 (with 4 cabs)
3 - down to 30 Hz

Please appreciate i am fairly new to folded horns and have only been looking into them for the past year or so.

I do appreciate the time you are taking to help me though!!
Old 9th April 2013, 02:59 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

1. awesome
2. That doesn't mean much. 140 is insanely loud so I'm guessing you mean 140 @ 1m. That's a good goal but there's no way to know if that's adequate or overkill unless you specify the boundary loading (room or lack of room - I believe you said this was an open field) and distance to the furthest part of the audience. This will determine how many you need in your stack.
3. That's a good goal and will suit your music fine. You'll still miss a bit of the lowest bass but only in a few songs and it won't be noticed much if at all. I'll look around a bit for 30 hz horns. There are a few that will do 35 hz (like Labhorn) but I don't recall any 30 hz horns off the top of my head right now. There's also a couple that do 25 but I can't recall any 30 hz horns at the moment. Give me awhile to look around.

Last edited by just a guy; 9th April 2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 9th April 2013, 03:57 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Here's one. It's a tapped horn.

The Othorn tapped horn
Data-Bass

A stack of 4 will do over 140 db/1m outside with no boundary loading. It's expensive but it's fairly small for what it puts out. There's a bunch of different drivers that will work in it but the driver it was designed around is probably the best bet to get insanely loud. It takes a load of power (single cab was tested around 4300 watts).

When you look at the graphs, remember that this guy measures at 2m, so add 6 db to get the 1m equivalent. His graphs say 126 db/2m peak, which is 132 db/1m (single cab) and adding 12 db for a stack of 4 would be 144 db/1m. This isn't theoretical simulation, this guy tested it and measured that. (He only measured a single cab, not a stack of 4.)

I'll look around for more 30 hz horns later today.
Old 10th April 2013, 11:38 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Yes i meant 140 @1m !! lmao In terms of measuring my music, ive tried various genre's and most of them will reach down to around 34hz.

Tapped horns... ill have to have a good read up !!
Old 10th April 2013, 01:36 PM   #20
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi ClackS02,

Take a look at these projects by Josh Ricci:

Gjallerhorn , and

The Othorn tapped horn .

And work on your project definition(s).

Regards,

Hide this!Advertise here!