How high a compression ratio possible in A tapped horn??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Usual recommended compression in a TH is 2:1 but SPL level increases with higher compression. For heavy strong cone drivers has anyone tried to go with 4:1 or higher. Have a low QTs, high Xmax, heavy strong cone but inefficient car driver and was thinking of putting in a 16 foot long TH cab with planned response into the teens.

Rafaro

There's two issues.

1. A high compression ratio can break the cone. (But I'm sure this has as much to do with the size of the horn as the compression ratio - the mass of the slug of air the cone has to push.)
2. A high compression ratio with a high xmax driver can cause extreme velocity (and possibly turbulence and distortion) in the narrowest parts of the horn.

For the former, all you can do is use common sense and guess what's acceptable. For the latter you can use Akabak to check velocity at any node in the enclosure.

Unfortunately there isn't a single number that describes the safe/unsafe borderline since all cases are different.

Last edited:
I believe I had read (here in this forum) that one could add a small compression chamber in front of the driver that then vents into the tapped horn S2 to attempt to alleviate some of the stress on the cone.

Obviously empirical testing is necessary as I haven't done so myself, but it seems a worthwhile aspect to incorporate. I'm planning on making some high-compression tapped horns for my Cerwin-Vega! Stroker subwoofers that I have here----very low Qts, medium-ish Fs, low Vas, very stiff cone and good Xmax....sounds like a winning combo for tapped horns. Which driver are you thinking of using?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.