FTRCelestion FTR15-4080FD and THAM-15

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Since you haven't showed any impedance plot, I can only judge by using Re. Those values suggest that all three drivers have a 'nominal' of 8 Ohms"

You're still missing the point.

Pick the lower efficency driver with the high x-max for a bass horn.

Hi!

By that, I simply mean that, given that some people have been reasonably happy with the 15PS100 in the THAM-15, that I would probably be reasonably happy with the Celestion. Or, said differently, that any difference between the Celestion and the 15PS100 will be marginal at best?
Unquote.

No experience with the 15PS100, but with 12PS100 which performs very well in the TH12 when you can beside use it till Pe, the performance of a bass guitar notes played thru the TH are also well defined from 40 to 100Hz, without overexcursion issues, and without any cone correction (impressive as THs suffer from overexcursion ill at Pe).
This performance (defined notes) isn't achieved by much drivers. To me it's a try and error thing beside parameters.

As the 15PS100 apparently has the same motor why not try one.

NB: Build 4 THAM15, sold two and two remain here unused. Tried several drivers innit. To me lacks lows.

Regards,

Thanks for the input. The main reason for comparison to the 15PS100 is that it seems that the Celestion FD is somewhat similar. As it stands now I'm planning to send the Celestions that I have back later this week and at that point I can select any driver, or even a different design.

My preference for the THAM15 is simply that several people have been very positive about it, particularly with respect to the extension below 50hz, and also, I like the dimensions.

In fact, I think that it was this thread that discusses the TH12 that triggered my choice.

http://forum.speakerplans.com/fth12-tapped-horn_topic58675_page1.html

Is this the "TH12" that you're talking about? As near as I can tell, the design isn't available, it's just a kit, is that correct? Interestingly, Tony originally called for the 12" version of the HDX in that cabinet.

Last edited:
Hi!

Not that one TH12. Look at the frequency response at page 1; to me f3 at 50Hz and f10 at 45Hz.

Remember iron law. You got portability but the price is extension down.

The 12PS100 is strong as a tank, but to me defined response thru all the gap it will be usable is what count, despite it's a bit less SPL.

Using now a few years B&C and 18 Sound drivers can say that they are in general top in quality. Use the correct one into your project.

Maybe the 15NW100 is the right candidate to habit your TH.

Regards,

If then I understand correctly, and my google foo is up to snuff, you're talking about what is referred to as the stapier design reduced from 680mm to 380mm in width?

If so, it doesn't sim very well for me assuming that I have the parameters correct. What driver are you using, 12PS100?

The 12PS100 is strong as a tank, but to me defined response thru all the gap it will be usable is what count, despite it's a bit less SPL.

By this, do you mean how it sounds, or that it has a wide response in a TH? At any rate, it's not all that clear to me that I really get what aspsects of a driver will impact how it sounds to me.

So to be clear, are you recommending the PS100 series over the TBX100 series?

tnx,
gs

Last edited:
Hi!

"the performance of a bass guitar notes played thru the TH are also well defined from 40 to 100Hz"

Take the instrument, bass guitar, play the notes from the lowest to the highest
in the gap like 40/100Hz, first without any amplification, to make shure you have the backround and then amp it playing thru the speaker, and you will notice if it reproduces what you here first.
Only a few I hear do it well in the upper range.

Regards,

Hi!

"the performance of a bass guitar notes played thru the TH are also well defined from 40 to 100Hz"

Take the instrument, bass guitar, play the notes from the lowest to the highest
in the gap like 40/100Hz, first without any amplification, to make shure you have the backround and then amp it playing thru the speaker, and you will notice if it reproduces what you here first.
Only a few I hear do it well in the upper range.

Regards,

I see, so, in a sense, you're talking about faithful reproduction through the passband, I hesitate to say flat, but, AFAIK, most of what makes a bass guitar sound the way that it does is due to harmonics. What attributes of the driver matter here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.