Best used $200 Sub Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are some good things to look for when buying a used subwoofer amplifier?

Intended use would be home theatre with a single ported 15" driver.

Looking for slightly overkill. :)

Anyway, when looking through various classifieds at older bridgeable or mono amps, what are some good specs or brand/models to look for, that would be good for this single-minded purpose?

I want to keep the budget at about $200 and DO NOT want a plate amplifier.

Thanks! :)

maybe DIY?

If you feel like building your own, for that price you could buy/build the LC Audio Zappulse 2.1 class D amplifier. I'm working on doing this right now. Total cost is a little over the $200, but that's because I don't have a junk box with spare parts lying around. It can deliver upwards of 400 watts into 4 ohms!

I can't say much about how it sounds, as right now it appears to have a problem, and I haven't had time to dig in further yet. But, its at least worth looking into.

CZ Eddie said:

Incredible price! How loud are the fans on it? How well does it control your sub setup?

I wasn't able to find any reviews on the net, but did see prices as low as $169 on eBay.

thanks

I sit about 10 feet or better from the amp and play movies loud enough that I can't hear the amp. I feed the Sub out through a BFD to help with room modes, other than that I'm pretty happy with it. I'm driving a vented Tempest and a Shiva QW tube with it.

Stuff

you should keep an eye out for used lab amps on ebay and you might find yourslef a bit of a bargin, as I saw a few a while ago on ebay that looked almost good enough to buy (if only I had a three phase supply in my room). Admitedly, they were a bit more expensive than what you want, but if you have alook, it should give you some idea of what to look for.

Andrew.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2558034527&category=7321&rd=1

c3_3.JPG

Watch e-bay pro sound category

for a used Crown amp

take your time and don't get something too old - I've seen a lot of older ones that I thought were over priced.

You can probably pick up a used com-tech 410 for under $200 - I did and am happy with it

regards

Ken K

Timn8ter said:

Thanks!! I'd actually figured Radio Shack would probably carry something like this, but seeing it in that link makes me wonder. Now I know where to get it at. :up:

And on that note, I think I've settled on the Samson S1000 pro amp, rated at 500 watts per channel @ 4ohms.

One last question, will an amp of this magnitude wreak havoc with my entertainment center's electrical source?

Am just using one outlet for everything.

Man... this forum is great! :cool: Thanks, guys! I hope to be able to contibute here and there when possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.