Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

5 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn.  ~35hz extension
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2018, 03:00 PM   #581
treukauf is offline treukauf
diyAudio Member

Scientific and TB46,

Do you have the final plans of what was actually built (around post #451 to # 491)? I believe Scientific was calling it the TH18SC. I see lots of versions some with the keystone mouth and some with a more conventional horn mouth. I was originally thinking about building an Othorn to compare with my Keystone, but this might be worth a look. Anyone else build one of these? I love the sound of my keystone, but want to try out something with more extension.
Old 9th February 2018, 10:07 AM   #582
USRFobiwan is offline USRFobiwan
Horn Addict
diyAudio Member

Treukauf, TB46 hasn't been around since july last year.

I am currently building a SC218 try5 rev1 with reduced L45. It will probably be finished mid/end march.
Old 12th February 2018, 12:59 PM   #583
Zwiller is offline Zwiller  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USRFobiwan View Post
Treukauf, TB46 hasn't been around since july last year.

I am currently building a SC218 try5 rev1 with reduced L45. It will probably be finished mid/end march.
No thread? Not familiar with that design.
Old 12th February 2018, 01:33 PM   #584
USRFobiwan is offline USRFobiwan
Horn Addict
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwiller View Post
No thread? Not familiar with that design.
Start reading from post #424

It's started from the Keystone TH to a more 'standard' TH type with lower extension for a truck-bed TH. Later on the collaboration started expanding to a dual 18/21 TH called the SC218 SC221. where SC stands for Scientific. It somehow hijacked to lab12 thread. I think I asked a mod to move the post from the SC to a new thread but it never happend.

Last edited by USRFobiwan; 12th February 2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12th February 2018, 03:37 PM   #585
Zwiller is offline Zwiller  United States
diyAudio Member

Holy hijack Batman!!! Nice kewl dual 18 design AND more info on cone correction. W bins are still my fave. Some serious woodworking tho... The OTHORN looks simple compared to that.
Old 24th February 2018, 04:21 AM   #586
Cableaddict is offline Cableaddict
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epa View Post
so here is a 3d pic
also a link to an anymation.
the anymation is rather big.
Click the image to open in full size.
Hey.

I just saw this thread, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which parts of it refer specifically to this design. Posts get a little diffuse along the way......
Is this the same sub @m R g S r outlines in the first post?

It looks quite similar to the insanely-priced Danley TH112. (I wonder if Danley used this very design?)

Are the final dimensions the same as outlined in that initial post?

What about the weight? That's a really big deal for this aging, one-man show. I'm definitely considering building some, but if I can't lift them into my truck, I'm doomed.

Size-wise, I figure I can get three in my Tacoma, and still have room for some SKB racks & lighting. Three would be 2 ohms, so I'd be OK with my amp in mono. Maybe change to plate amps later on. That would be sweet.

thx.

Last edited by Cableaddict; 24th February 2018 at 04:48 AM.
Old 24th February 2018, 04:50 AM   #587
Cableaddict is offline Cableaddict
diyAudio Member

## Important question:

For complicated reasons, I would be MUCH better served if the height was 36", not 38".

Do you guys think the dimensions could be altered to make this work, without too much compromise? (A little wider, not deeper, would be best.)

------------------

Another oddball-but-serious idea:

What are the chances I could cut the boxes in half, and make them so they assemble together once in place at the event? You know, tight-fitting gaskets and really good latches. That sort of thing?

Has this ever been done, with ANY sub?

Last edited by Cableaddict; 24th February 2018 at 04:52 AM.
Old 24th February 2018, 12:33 PM   #588
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
## Important question:

For complicated reasons, I would be MUCH better served if the height was 36", not 38".

Do you guys think the dimensions could be altered to make this work, without too much compromise? (A little wider, not deeper, would be best.)
It's an MTH-type fold. It can be done (the MTH workbook on my page can help), but if the result is a wider cabinet, then I'd suggest going with a larger driver, if you don't already have the LAB12 drivers on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Another oddball-but-serious idea:

What are the chances I could cut the boxes in half, and make them so they assemble together once in place at the event? You know, tight-fitting gaskets and really good latches. That sort of thing?

Has this ever been done, with ANY sub?
I've seen horn extenders, but that's done at the mouth the horn. Cutting the entire cabinet in half? Um, no. And it probably won't work out well in this case, as you'll be cutting directly across a high-pressure section, so expect big losses unless you find a way to firmly clamp the parts back together.
Old 24th February 2018, 12:58 PM   #589
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

change the design,put in an xtra fold,the cab becomes more square.
Old 28th April 2018, 01:37 AM   #590
aragorus is offline aragorus  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hey guys,
I've read through the thread and there seems to be some really nice ideas bouncing around. I modded TB46's MOD#4 a bit.
Added a round cut on the front side, so that it could be used standing up as a Keystone (though the mouth is all the way down (which I guess could be modified) or used as TB46 suggested in his design.
Click the image to open in full size.

5 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn.  ~35hz extensionHide this!Advertise here!