Underground Sub - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2013, 12:47 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

bjorno that looks very interesting... imagine an 8 horn loaded DBA flush mounted in cavities behind the front and rear walls. You would just see 8 square holes in the walls and no subs.

What I do like about the idea is no pressurization of the room. Which I am sure OB speakers would greatly appreciate, especially the RAAL dipole ribbons.

Edit:
Just doing the math on a 6 meter wide room and it is reduces the horizontal room mode cut off to 172 / 3 = roughly 57Hz. Starting to loose much of the advantage of this type of design.

With 3 meter center to center screen size will be touch and go depending on the size of the outlets.

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 15th March 2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 15th March 2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Ile is offline Ile  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Screamer View Post
Not sure what you mean by manifolds.... but how about this?
You should read IB FAQ I posted.

Manifold is kind of connection box for IB sub elements, usually mounted to back space side. Normally 2 or 4 element is connected to opposite sides of box...
IB subwoofer picture gallery page 1

Don't build that kind horns from your head, result would suck without good design.

Don't understand what benefits much complicated horn have over very simple IB for hometheater subwoofer. Maybe you save two driver price and can use smaller amp, but construction is so much complicated that you lose many times that to material costs and time used.
Hard to say which would sound better, because probably no one have build both to same room.
Old 15th March 2013, 01:40 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I tried modeling the DBA bjorno suggested and it just won't work, using a modest 600mm square outlets, it only gives a 100 inch diagonal 16:9 picture, which is not enough, and I don't want to try material over the ports to make the screen bigger, so that leave me back at either IB or TH.

Thanks Ile I will investigate the IB option in greater details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Home Theatre Room 5.jpg (31.8 KB, 200 views)
Old 15th March 2013, 02:05 PM   #14
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

bookmarked
maybe 4 tcsound 18"tqwtp with the mouth positions as in bjorno's link.
Old 15th March 2013, 11:18 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure you would get the same effect if you deviate from the 1/4 - 3/4 placement, but there is no reason I couldn't still use the idea even if its not perfect for more even bass distribution.

Just working with the IB idea for a moment I could use the master bedroom directly above the home theatre room to provide a chamber for the IB.

Perhaps with it vented it would result in non pressurization of the room as it would be a back and forth motion with a large air buffer in between.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Home Theatre Room 6.jpg (44.2 KB, 141 views)
Old 15th March 2013, 11:53 PM   #16
3GGG is offline 3GGG  Australia
diyAudio Member

I am going to build LeCleach bass horns, to go with a 4 way horn build. After hearing the effortless dynamics and detail fr horns I just have to try a 20hz concrete bass horn. I will detail the build and feel free to jump on a cheap flight for a listen when complete.
Old 16th March 2013, 12:39 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Sounds interesting 3GGG.

The boss expressed her displeasure with me using the master bedroom to vent the home theatre room, on the account of she says it should be separate for privacy reasons...

With just the two of us in the house I don't see who we are going to upset

I asked if it was ok to build it into the 3 x 6 meter walk in wardrobe, and that was far more acceptable, as it would be separate from the bedroom.

I could use the whole room, but there's no point in rocking the boat unnecessarily when it is still just an idea...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Home Theatre Room 7.jpg (50.6 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 16th March 2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 16th March 2013, 01:38 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Let me see if I can find the old link to Tom P's multiple subs.
And the magazine writer who had floor to ceiling columns in his basement with multiple drivers.
Old 16th March 2013, 02:28 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

If you build a speaker under the basement floor, what happens when your sewer backs up and your sump pump motor is burnt out?
Old 16th March 2013, 02:49 AM   #20
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

If you're going to build such an extreme build then you might consider to use twice as many drivers and slot mount them where one is reversed. This would reduce driver significantly distortion and cancel mechanical forces. Your house will thank you when playing lots of LFE content

There is a thread about this, also some information on Linkwitzlab since he uses the technique himself a lot.

If you go this route you could compensate by using smaller less fancy drivers since the strain on each driver is reduced.

Hide this!Advertise here!