Powering the 18 Sound 18LW2400

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
recently finished 2 of my 4 CBE cabinets. loaded them and have been powering them with a QSC RMX 2450 bridged 4ohm. it doesn't appear that amp even tickles those drivers. the 2450 isn't the best, so i have been looking for different power amps. one thing to point out, that cabinet design is very friendly towards power amps. i'm trying to keep my cost down some. been looking at the carvin dcm3800l and the crest cc4000. i would still have to run them 4 ohm bridged and would need 2 to power all 4 CBE cabinets. any suggestions on amps. the pl380 is pretty expensive, but could run 2 subs a side.

here is a picture. the SP2s are temporary till i finish the new tops.

Attachments

• 2013-03-09_09-30-30_461.jpg
    2013-03-09_09-30-30_461.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 301
I have used the Crest CC2800 for sub use, it is not impressive at all. I would not expect much more of the CC4000.

I can reccommend the Speakerpower SP4000 plate amp, rated at 4000W/2 ohm, 2400W/4, 1300W/8, it weighs only 7 lbs.

With music and pink noise into a BC18SW115-4 loaded bass reflex speaker, the Torpedo equaled the SPL output of a Crest CA-9 and a QSC PLX 3602, put out about 4 dB more than an old Crown PSA 2, and 5 dB more than the CC-2800.

The CC-4000 has only about 1 dB more power than the CC-2800, I'd expect the SP4000 to beat it in real world bass output by about 4 dB.

Speakerpower also has some higher power rack mount units available now, for real bass power per $ I can't think of any lightweight amps that are better.

Art Welter

Last edited:
They are not very ""Extended LF"" as their marketing title suggests?!
Eighteen Sound 18LW2400
With f3~50Hz, f6 40 Hz, f12 29Hz... unless something escapes me (like huge box size, other). Maybe you get good results from them in the low frequencies as from the graph on the spec sheet shows (or might suggest).
From the simulation, to power 1 driver you need (pic1_a);
and to power 2 drivers in parallel look below (pic1_b).

Attachments

• power 1xEIGHTEEN SOUND 18LW2400.jpg
    power 1xEIGHTEEN SOUND 18LW2400.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 293
You really want that much more power going in to these things? I would just double up on cabinets You're getting about 1200w rms each now, which is the AES rating of the driver, no?

The qsc rmx are good amps. The 5050 is a beast, maybe step up to that? But I think that'll be too much power for these drivers...

You really want that much more power going in to these things? I would just double up on cabinets You're getting about 1200w rms each now, which is the AES rating of the driver, no?

The qsc rmx are good amps. The 5050 is a beast, maybe step up to that? But I think that'll be too much power for these drivers...

i've always ran a ton of power to my speakers. i would get nice clean sound with out the volume. dangerous i know, but i took precautions. my set up before the CBEs was 4 peavey 18" subs. 2 118hc rated at 300rms, and 2 sp118 rated at 500. i ran a bridged rmx 2450 to each set. yes, limited on spl, but most of the places the band plays are small venues. for live sound it worked, for program material not so much. i was just questioning if a more powerful amp would help getting the drivers to perform better. i have clipped the 2450 at a show one night, but my kick drum would blur your vision at that volume. this system only sees live band duty.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.