Peerless xls10 in sealed enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I'm new on this forum and this will be my first project.

I just bought a peerless 10' driver and it will be powered by 300W into 4Ohm plate amp - custom build.

Subwoofer will be based on Vikash Chauhan project

Construction of the Peerless XLS10 Subwoofer Enclosure.

The only problem is I cannot match passive radiator as its no longer available. I found something similar:

26W/0-00-00 - Scan Speak Discovery 10” passive - Europe Audio

Will be this radiator OK to calibrate after all ? I was also thinking about two eight inches dayton radiators insted. Any other sugestions??
Regarding building materials in this project I think it will be better to use thicker 1inch MDF.
How about damping materials? With 25-30 litres enclosure and all features it won't be much room for thicker insulation..

You can share your opinion and i'm open to any advices regarding this project :)

THX in advance
Marcin

Last edited:
I never made a project for a PR. This one you linked it's a 10" with 400g and has 28 mm excursion so I only can see it as being a good fit.
Let's check that we are in the same project concept, same driver.
Driver: Peerless XLS 10" Subwoofer (830452)
Peerless XLS10 10" Subwoofer (830452) and Passive Radiator (830481)
Passive used in the previous project:
http://www.tymphany.com/files/resources/dpeerless/830481.pdf
http://www.d-s-t.com.au/data/Peerless/Peerless_XLS_Subwoofer.pdf

As an interesting topic for the Peerless XLS 830452 in a 25 L box tunned to 32 Hz gives a in room F3~30Hz (F3=35Hz freefield) and to me is not a very interesting proposition (read driver) because it's already max out from ideal volume (15/17 L) and consequent roll off. But hey maybe it works... :D

I never made a project for a PR. This one you linked it's a 10" with 400g and has 28 mm excursion so I only can see it as being a good fit.
Let's check that we are in the same project concept, same driver.
Driver: Peerless XLS 10" Subwoofer (830452)
Peerless XLS10 10" Subwoofer (830452) and Passive Radiator (830481)
Passive used in the previous project:
http://www.tymphany.com/files/resources/dpeerless/830481.pdf

As an interesting topic for the Peerless XLS 830452 in a 25 L box tunned to 32 Hz gives a in room F3~30Hz (F3=35Hz freefield) and to me is not a very interesting proposition (read driver) because it's already max out from ideal volume (15/17 L) and consequent roll off. But hey maybe it works... :D

Como vai voce Inductor.
Obrigado for extensive explanation. What would recommend in this case? Different volume? Vented box?

As I wrote earlier, already have bought the xls10 driver so have to stick to that

already have bought the xls10 driver
In your case/application I probably would make horns. Best application/use for this driver is BR, as stated and horns.
Another application (sealed), do not confuse with this they are different drivers, just for show Peerless XXLS 10”
I think the passive radiator is a great build and response similar to the bass reflex without a port.
Read from page 6-7... (smaller box/more control)
The response is similar to the vented system with approx -6 dB at 40 Hz which may be corrected
by a simple first order circuit in the filter.
The maximum SPL produced by the system with 400W can be seen below:
At 25 Hz the maximum is 106 dB, but we need to inspect the cone and slave excursion before
proceeding with the design:
From this simulation we see that the maximum excursion of the driver is well within the limits
down to 20 Hz where the linearity limit of 12.5 mm is reached.
For the slave the mechanical limit of the excursion is 22 mm which occurs at approx. 26 Hz. This
means that the system with a 400g moving mass on the slave is not able to produce 105 dB at 25
Hz because the slave will be overloading.
If we choose a lower tuning frequency the active driver will take more of the load utilising the full
potential of the active driver and reducing the needed excursion of the passive driver.
Conclusion for Passive radiator system:
Special considerations regarding overloading of the passive radiator is needed for passive
radiator systems. Careful selection of limiting circuits and tuning frequency is needed to avoid
unwanted noises from the system.
It has been shown that the tuning of the box is possible but that the user need to invest some
time in adjusting the filters and limiters to achieve the goal.
Passive radiator system data:
Total volume: 20 litre
XLS slave with 600g Mms
Tuning frequency: 21 Hz

Hi Inductor.
I think horn would be the best bet as my amplifier doesn't have an equaliser, therefore not sure if I be able to tune the frequency. Take a look @ below link
SUB300 - IREK
Unfortunately all specs are in polish but u can click on pics, hope it gives u a clue what I'm dealing with.
I know that horn are more complex to built but I'm good at carpentry and may take that risk :) They only thing that bothers me is enormus size of horn application. I would like to keep small small volume due to limited space.
Somebody already made some calculation for xls10 at horn enclosure and comes up with this idea:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/181324-peerless-xls10-4.html

These cabinets 170.2cm and other 120cm high, are way too big.. enormous :)
I'd like to keep it more squarish, even if construction would be more difficult and complicated to build.
I have to ask someone to make a simulation and calculate whole cabinet

Marcin,
There's TL's (Transmission Line Speakers, Quarter Wavelengths, et al.) and there's horns they are different.
My simulation shows as good design projects for this driver (with a better use of his specs) the (1) horn (not a tapped horn) and (2) BR.
In case you want give a look at a broad simulation for a TL (or TQWT) look here
In detriment of other designs, I really liked the design/project made by seppi0815 in post #36 of your link (only that the plastic rollers should be rubber).

Last edited:
I'm very gratefull for all your work and time on this forum.
I know that I have to build two enclosures, sealed and horn and try how it sounds in reality. As horn would be more effective my wife wouldn't like its size. She's already not happy about idea of another hi-fi furniture in our living room^*%^*
For an option of better tune in sealed application may be low pass EQ. I already asked a guy for make it one for me. What you think about that?

The good design projects for driver Peerless XLS 10" 830452 are horn and bass reflex (or passive radiator type) linked above
So why the hell I still want the sealed application?? - I don't know. Perhaps because I've heard somewhere that subwoofer in sealed enclosure goes deeper than other types lol. I've seen some BR, 50 liters volume projects online. I do that first along with horn application but As It will be my first subwoofer I will try it before cut any BR holes out - is that sin??

A BR, 50 liters volume will be dull. Just manage to simulate with any software linked all around.
As It will be my first subwoofer I will try it before cut any BR holes out - is that sin??
Can do that, but losing your time for the sake of experience, others related very bad low extension... experiment everything you like but at least acknowledge later in your posts what was said.
Best more beautiful application I saw until now is linked by you on post #7 (here post #36)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/181324-peerless-xls10-2.html#post2445897
use it with the approximate calculations from link of post #3, this the best you can have.
Simulating a 20 liter nominal box with a 10" XLS slave with 400g moving mass results in the
frequency response below:

According to the Application note for Peerless XLS 10"

Passive radiator system data:
Total volume: 20 litre
XLS slave with 600g Mms
Tuning frequency: 21 Hz

If I'm understand right to gain 21Hz I Have to built 20litre (netto) box and add 200gr into SCAN SPEAK DISCOVERY 26W/0-00-00 ?
Will this be OK or may roll off as in Vikash project?

I found another interesting project made by Sander Sassen but in 30 liter enclosure:

Build your own 10" subwoofer, a detailed how-to - Passive radiator box

Looks good, all of them are almost perfect and close to limits. Have in mind that you will not run out of maximum excursion because your passive radiator has a higher 26mm limit (not 22mm), so no need for different roll-off with more weights. I think you have all the data and different examples from others to make a good project/alignment.

Looks good, all of them are almost perfect and close to limits. Have in mind that you will not run out of maximum excursion because your passive radiator has a higher 26mm limit (not 22mm), so no need for different roll-off with more weights. I think you have all the data and different examples from others to make a good project/alignment.

Thank you Inductor.
My project will be based on Vikash project but i'm going to make few modifications.
*First of all I will build a box of double 18mm MDF ( 32mm only for driver/radiator chamber)
*Subwoofer enclosure will be around 21 liter (sealed chamber)
*Amplifier in separated chamber (need to extend depth)
*Passive radiator will be placed on front, driver DF
*I use about 4kg of sand to make it more stable (obviously in sealed chamber :D)
Is there anything that I should keep in mind? I read somewhere that damping isn't necessary as it wont do its job at this frequencies

Already have cut out all dimensions and going to assembly them this weekend. Still waiting for the amp and PR so won't be able to test it soon.

Thx in advance
Marcin

Last edited:
Finally I finished my first project. Thanks Inductor for help!

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

20130501_140607.jpg

crcu6qz49nshaoviikd4_1366504105.jpg

usgjuv7psj465g6za9n6_1366507287.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.