Peerless xls10 in sealed enclosure - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2013, 01:44 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My simulation shows as good design projects for this driver (with a better use of his specs) the (1) horn (not a tapped horn) and (2) BR
I thought that you made other calculations and forgot to paste them into your post. Didn't know you describe the pics are in your link
Old 17th March 2013, 02:18 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I'm very gratefull for all your work and time on this forum.
I know that I have to build two enclosures, sealed and horn and try how it sounds in reality. As horn would be more effective my wife wouldn't like its size. She's already not happy about idea of another hi-fi furniture in our living room^*%^*
For an option of better tune in sealed application may be low pass EQ. I already asked a guy for make it one for me. What you think about that?
Old 17th March 2013, 02:36 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

No, I said, again (sorry)...
Quote:
The good design projects for driver Peerless XLS 10" 830452 are horn and bass reflex (or passive radiator type) linked above
Old 17th March 2013, 03:08 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The good design projects for driver Peerless XLS 10" 830452 are horn and bass reflex (or passive radiator type) linked above
So why the hell I still want the sealed application?? - I don't know. Perhaps because I've heard somewhere that subwoofer in sealed enclosure goes deeper than other types lol. I've seen some BR, 50 liters volume projects online. I do that first along with horn application but As It will be my first subwoofer I will try it before cut any BR holes out - is that sin??
Old 17th March 2013, 07:57 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

A BR, 50 liters volume will be dull. Just manage to simulate with any software linked all around.
Quote:
As It will be my first subwoofer I will try it before cut any BR holes out - is that sin??
Can do that, but losing your time for the sake of experience, others related very bad low extension... experiment everything you like but at least acknowledge later in your posts what was said.
Best more beautiful application I saw until now is linked by you on post #7 (here post #36)
PEERLESS XLS10
use it with the approximate calculations from link of post #3, this the best you can have.
http://www.d-s-t.com.au/data/Peerles..._Subwoofer.pdf
Quote:
Simulating a 20 liter nominal box with a 10" XLS slave with 400g moving mass results in the
frequency response below:
Old 19th March 2013, 01:29 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

According to the Application note for Peerless XLS 10"

Quote:
Passive radiator system data:
Total volume: 20 litre
XLS slave with 600g Mms
Tuning frequency: 21 Hz
If I'm understand right to gain 21Hz I Have to built 20litre (netto) box and add 200gr into SCAN SPEAK DISCOVERY 26W/0-00-00 ?
Will this be OK or may roll off as in Vikash project?

I found another interesting project made by Sander Sassen but in 30 liter enclosure:

Build your own 10" subwoofer, a detailed how-to - Passive radiator box
Old 20th March 2013, 04:48 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Looks good, all of them are almost perfect and close to limits. Have in mind that you will not run out of maximum excursion because your passive radiator has a higher 26mm limit (not 22mm), so no need for different roll-off with more weights. I think you have all the data and different examples from others to make a good project/alignment.
Old 22nd March 2013, 07:13 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
Looks good, all of them are almost perfect and close to limits. Have in mind that you will not run out of maximum excursion because your passive radiator has a higher 26mm limit (not 22mm), so no need for different roll-off with more weights. I think you have all the data and different examples from others to make a good project/alignment.
Thank you Inductor.
My project will be based on Vikash project but i'm going to make few modifications.
*First of all I will build a box of double 18mm MDF ( 32mm only for driver/radiator chamber)
*Subwoofer enclosure will be around 21 liter (sealed chamber)
*Amplifier in separated chamber (need to extend depth)
*Passive radiator will be placed on front, driver DF
*I use about 4kg of sand to make it more stable (obviously in sealed chamber )
Is there anything that I should keep in mind? I read somewhere that damping isn't necessary as it wont do its job at this frequencies

Already have cut out all dimensions and going to assembly them this weekend. Still waiting for the amp and PR so won't be able to test it soon.

Thx in advance
Marcin

Last edited by 131183914; 22nd March 2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 1st May 2013, 11:41 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Finally I finished my first project. Thanks Inductor for help!

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!