BEST 18" Sub for a folded horn enclosure!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
B&C 18sw115. ($582)
B&C 18SW115-8 18" Neodymium Subwoofer Speaker Driver 294-575
18 sound 18 nlw9600 ($700)
Eighteen Sound Speakers - Eighteen Sound 18NLW9600 - Eighteen Sound 18NLW9600 18" woofer handles 1,800 watts AES. Eighteen Sound 18NLW9600 18" subwoofers are available here. 18 Sound speaker components.
TC sounds 5100 ($880)
TC Sounds Pro 5100 18" Neo Subwoofer Driver 293-674

The B&C appears to be a bargain next to the others.

For very high output horn with a large driver, make sure the motor is very strong and the cone equally as strong.

For very high output horn with a large driver, make sure the motor is very strong and the cone equally as strong.

Im liking the idea of this!
Eighteen Sound Speakers - Eighteen Sound 18NLW9600 - Eighteen Sound 18NLW9600 18" woofer handles 1,800 watts AES. Eighteen Sound 18NLW9600 18" subwoofers are available here. 18 Sound speaker components.

10,000 watts peak ? so i could drive that pretty hard without the need for killing anything? !!

Im not to sure on this though... TC Sounds Pro 5100 18" Neo Subwoofer Driver 293-674

I can see there being issues with space in a folded horn!

If this is true, how are you going to design the folded horn?

I guess knowledge was a poor term to use! Designing and tuning will not be a problem, just being in the car ICE industry ive not come accross folded horns ect, Its all been about quality and SPL rather than how far you can throw the sound!.

I need a set of subs that will throw lots of bass at the audience in a large/outside environment! HELP :)

I guess knowledge was a poor term to use! Designing and tuning will not be a problem, just being in the car ICE industry ive not come accross folded horns ect, Its all been about quality and SPL rather than how far you can throw the sound!.

I need a set of subs that will throw lots of bass at the audience in a large/outside environment! HELP :)
The more SPL generated, the louder it is at distance.
SPL falls off at 6 dB per doubling of distance outdoors.

130 dB (about what one Keystone sub with 1500 watts can do at 35 Hz) at one meter will be 106 dB at 16 meters.

Josh Ricci's Gjallerhorn can do that at 25 Hz, but is over twice the size and uses an even more expensive driver.

Doubling drivers and cabinets driven at the same power level gets you another 6 dB.

If you want SPL of 130 dB at 16 meters, you need about 16 Keystones or 8 Gjallerhorns.
That said, a large array increases forward directivity quite a bit, you would still hear that array at around 94 dB at 2048 meters (1.26 miles) away in front of the stack.

Party on, dudes!

Art

Well I suggest start modeling drivers with HornResponse as a start. With ambiguities like those I've underlined, it's gonna be tough to please such a customer-----frankly you need to be a bit more "scientific" with your terminology around here, as this isn't your run-of-the-mill car audio forum with n00bs that don't know squat. When I read something like "lots of bass", it reminds me of a 16 yr old high-school drop-out who now wants to learn how to design bad-a** sound systems with no knowledge of acoustic principles----I'm not saying this is you, I'm just saying what it reminds me of.

I can only assume you already have downloaded HornResponse have models you need critique on......

My question is why did the OP choose an 18" woofer? All things being equal, 18" woofers cannot handle as high compression ratios. There is also the increased rear chamber volume required because of higher Vas. This makes the overall size bigger than using multiple smaller woofers.

I can only speak for myself but I'M choosing an 18 for my next design because it's far cheaper than a couple of 12's (all else equal). I don't need a high compression ratio, and wouldn't design with one anyway since it leads to high velocity and possible turbulence and distortion in the narrowest section of the horn. I'm choosing a driver that has the Vas and qts required for my design and desired size. Larger drivers will usually have higher xmax than smaller drivers.

Besides, weltersys (member here) has extensive experience with some of the newer, larger drivers, and he has some driver recommendations with very strong cones and a well known horn design to back up his claims. I can't afford to experiment so I have to trust people like him and hope everything works out ok.

reminds me of a 16 yr old high-school drop-out who now wants to learn how to design bad-a** sound systems with no knowledge of acoustic principles----I'm not saying this is you, I'm just saying what it reminds me of.

HA! Thats not me! i want something with headroom! Id rather have a set of subs at half volume than at full with the same SPL ! :)

he has some driver recommendations with very strong cones and a well known horn design to back up his claims.

This is it! I need to speak to someone that has first hand knowledge ! Its all well looking at graphs, but id like to know that what im building is going to impress!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.