My next *pair* of subs for sure!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
/Circlotron - has opened his big mouth so he cannot turn back. :cannotbe:

Attachments

• sub a dub dub.png
    sub a dub dub.png
    12 KB · Views: 1,287
Skinnyboy - yeah, I went in to the Springvale store at lunchtime today and saw them there at that price. Naturally it coincides with me being broke. D'oh!

phs - I'm only going to run them at about 45-50 watts each; maybe go a bit higher in the future. The sensetivity of these drivers is only pretty average though.

Haven't actually seen that amp but usually the stuff they sell is reasonable.

I (being old) am not so much interested in wrecking the house with a dB deathBox as simply being able to go down LOW!!! To that end I am going to go haywire with bracing the box internally. I have figured out a really effective and simple way to do this. Will post a model of what I intend to do. Basically it involves using a strut from the centre of one panel to the centre of the opposite panel. I think this is better than simply stiffening the panel because as one panel tries to flex out under air pressure, the opposite panel tries to bend the opposite direction so they both pull on each end of the strut, which as far as each panel is concerned appears to be *absolutely* rigid.

They're gunna be 300 litres each plus ~25 litres for bracing and driver. I'll just have to try them outside one day with a selected track. :devilr: P.S. If anyone has any suggestions for alternative reasonable price drivers, I'm all ears.

Circlotron, id say dont do it, 2 drivers in 600L of volume have lower output than a single shiva in 85L, and a 142L shiva will go as low without EQ.
and when i say more output, the shiva has 7db!!!! more at 30Hz, and that is room shaking bass, and then below 20Hz it still ha more.
A Shiva is $300, but when u consider the cabinet cost of a 600L box, or 2 300L boxes, an 85L or even a 140L is much more appealing cost and building wise.

And on top of all this the shiva is an audiophile quality woofer thathas rave reviews and amazing performance to dollars ratio.

anyone heard or tried the tempest?

http://www.adireaudio.com/diy_audio/drivers/adire/tempest.htm

"With over 2.7L of displacement capability, Tempest can reach 104 dB SPL at 20 Hz, in a sealed box. It can reach 108 dB SPL @ 25 Hz, in a sealed box. That's above home theater reference levels! And placed in a vented box, it can reach even higher SPLs (easily above 115 dB SPL anechoic from 20 Hz and up. In room, expect peak levels well in excess of 120 dB SPL)."
:bigeyes:

i wonder how much Acoustic Concepts are asking for them
are they the only Aus distributors for the Shiva too?

http://www.acousticconcepts.com.au/tempestspecs.htm

300L is annoying

with 300L i could fit a good sub in there,

id just get a shiva,or a Maelstrom

altho,heres my cheap sub i got...

link to 8"

planning on my 150L basshorn for it..117db with 20watt or so.

anyone heard or tried the tempest?
thousands of people have.its your normal high excursion low efficiency woofer.

see the 'home theatre forum' Idj ust get a Maelstrom instead.Slightly more volume,more midbass output.

Hello, did you account for room gain/
I dont take into account too much for room gain i dont know,it may be too low and i may have insufficient output.TOo much output can simply be EQd out.

:)

Hi all. Coincidentally I was looking at Tempests on the Web just earlier today! They certainly look the part. Michael, is the Shiva AUD$300 ?? I was looking at an Aus site and this bloke reckons a Tempest cost about AUD$450. I hope not. I'll email them and see. Thanks for the replies/observations. BTW, the Tempest's efficiency was a bit ordinary I thought.

ok here is what john from accoustic concepts sent me when i asked for prices
> Shiva $272.50 plus GST
> Tempest $385.00 Plust GST
> Maelstrom $765.00 plus GST
> Brahma 10" $780.00 plus GST
> Brahma 12" $850.00 Plus GST
> Brahma 15" $995.00 plus GST
> PR-15 $235.oo plus GST
> AV-8 $186.00 plus GST

> Freight costs Eastern States $17.00 per speaker/Redgum amp, WA and NT
$24.00
> per speaker/redgum amp.
> Brahma/Maelstrom freight add $25.00.

and yes they are all australian prices, oh and you could dodge the delivery costs of you live in melbourne, they will allow pick up, that is what a friend of mine did.

And dont worry they actually have fair prices, not jacked up, us 125 and here 285, so only slight "jacking" and this is probly due to shipping from US to Aust.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Two by 300L boxes!!! that's almost bigger than my old bedsit in Balmain!!!! :bigeyes:

Hope you have a big living room ;)

What you got in mind for the selected track :) I can think of a few:

Dire Straights Private Investigations

The first four tracks of The Wall (especially the helicopters)

The heartbeat at the begining of Dark side of the moon.

You can probably tell I'm a Pink Floyd fan ;)

Regards,

Tony.

wintermute said:
Two by 300L boxes!!! that's almost bigger than my old bedsit in Balmain!!!! :bigeyes:

Yeah, well I've got two 245L boxes at the moment (detailed somewhere else on diyaudio). They were actually a long term sneaky plan by me to get my wife used to the idea of REAL subs. ;) They are not that good compared with what I am thinking about now, just big, and a learning exercise before I get serious.

What track to play? Well, the theme music to Donkey Kong Country has a piece of strong 22Hz in it IIRC, so maybe I'll try that. I've got Private Investigations on some "best of" CD of theirs; I'll have a listen first and see what it's like.

unfortunately, i dont think he wanted to soend the money for one of these high efficiency 18" PA subs, fantastic as they are, i think circlotron wanted a "budget" project. this is why i recomended the shiva, not the tempest, its goes low, and doesnt cost the earth, plus its efficiency isnt as bad as many other subwoofers, eg the DPL with 84db eff.

what about a cheap 12" in a bose wave cannon clone? they seem to go ok! for similar volume,..

Yeah, well I've got two 245L boxes at the moment (detailed somewhere else on diyaudio).
Those are beasts i saw those :smash: :devilr:

its fun making a cheap woofer achieve its max capability

there are plenty of woofers with long throw (20+mm of xmax) mid 20s FS and 90db+ sensitivity
dont u mean 84db+ sensitivity!

ive seen 2 woofers like that,One is the maelstrom,93db eff

name some models please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.