Subwoofer cabinet advice - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2013, 03:47 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
Yes, look below.
(2.1ft³ = 59.465L for 2x drivers)

Your mistake if using a two driver system instead of one driver for the same internal volume is that you need a driver for smaller enclosure volume. This, if not using equalization like in the case you are comparing to (sub Dayton Audio RS1202K). Does it make any sense to you?! Summarizing, without EQ you need eventually a bigger box (it's this case) or another driver for a smaller box, there are drivers for 30/40 L enclosures with a better Qtc closer to 0.707.
http://www.daytonaudio.com/media/res...ser-manual.pdf
I'm not quite sure what you're saying, but if you're saying that the Dayton Audio RS1202K is able to get away with such a small enclosure because of the equalization of the SPA1000 plate amp, I concur. Generally speaking, it's pretty obvious that sealed subwoofers need more low-end equalization than ported subwoofers.
Old 29th March 2013, 12:58 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

"Generally speaking, it's pretty obvious that sealed subwoofers need more low-end equalization than ported subwoofers."
Did you read that or it's your assumption?!
Old 29th March 2013, 01:56 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Did you read that or it's your assumption?!
It's my assumption since sealed designs start rolling off at higher frequencies that ported designs.
Old 30th March 2013, 04:10 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Is not obvious.
In this case is not because of that, but because you are using a sealed enclosure smaller than ideal with a high Qtc. The same for ported.
What is obvious is that almost all the times the sealed systems don't need correction when using the correct driver in a convenient enclosure. The room gain does it's job. EQ it's a gimmick for the s-t-u-p-i-d HT subs.

(uploaded demo pics from sealed enclosures by Petoin Dominique)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QTC courbe 1_petoindominique.jpg (143.2 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg QTC courbe 2_petoindominique.jpg (132.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 30th March 2013, 10:41 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is not obvious.
In this case is not because of that, but because you are using a sealed enclosure smaller than ideal with a high Qtc. The same for ported.
What is obvious is that almost all the times the sealed systems don't need correction when using the correct driver in a convenient enclosure. The room gain does it's job. EQ it's a gimmick for the s-t-u-p-i-d HT subs.

(uploaded demo pics from sealed enclosures by Petoin Dominique)
My experimentation with WinISD contradicts what you're saying. In every case, the sealed designs start dropping off earlier than the ported designs. Perhaps you can point me to an example of a subwoofer that does the opposite. Also, it's obvious that not everyone worships at the alter of 0.707 Qtc as you do as eveidenced by the 1.00 Q of the Dayton Audio RS1202K.
Old 30th March 2013, 09:55 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

You are entitled to your own opinions. There are drivers made for each of the systems.
Old 1st April 2013, 02:05 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You are entitled to your own opinions. There are drivers made for each of the systems.
I didn't know WinISD gave opinions. My bottom line question is why Dayton Audio's best subwoofer kit consists of two of these subwoofers in a 2.1 cubic-foot cabinet? If you or anyone else here can provide an objective well-reasoned answer, I would appreciate it.
Old 1st April 2013, 05:23 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
..........why Dayton Audio's best subwoofer kit consists of two of these subwoofers in a 2.1 cubic-foot cabinet?
No idea. It's a rather poor design IMHO. Cabinet is too small, it's sealed, and it's MDF.
Old 2nd April 2013, 02:35 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Never heard (of) a sub better than my stereo. Much less for Jazz. I guess that's how good they are... or they are just something to spend your money on?! Confused? When you have a small house/room you need a small sub, or think you need. If you dig it, awesome. If you don't, awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
I didn't know WinISD gave opinions. My bottom line question is why Dayton Audio's best subwoofer kit consists of two of these subwoofers in a 2.1 cubic-foot cabinet? If you or anyone else here can provide an objective well-reasoned answer, I would appreciate it.

Hide this!Advertise here!