Subwoofer cabinet advice - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2013, 08:42 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
Yes, you'll just get less extension. Which is fine if you have a small room and/or a PEQ and no need for any serious output. My pair of 15" ref HO's run out of steam pretty quickly when run sealed/eq'd.
What are you mostly playing through them? I'll be mostly listening to jazz (90%), classical (5%) and pop and R&B (5%).
Old 28th March 2013, 08:52 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
Hey, your cabinet works better with one woofer than with two, see post #18 option a for 2 woofers (60or ~56 about the same) for very high Qtc. That's no good, that's just my point to you... oink oink oink or bell curve without EQ.

Good luck.
But aren't those numbers for two subwoofers in a 56-liter cabinet? I'll be putting them in a 121-liter cabinet. What I may end up doing is installing just one subwoofer first to see how it sounds. I can always cut another hole later. By the way, my crossover does have a bass equalizer to help out with the low bass extension.
Old 28th March 2013, 08:59 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
What are you mostly playing through them? I'll be mostly listening to jazz (90%), classical (5%) and pop and R&B (5%).
The context of running them sealed, they ran out of steam (xmax+) in HT use at loud but listenable volume.
Old 28th March 2013, 09:07 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'll be putting them in a 121-liter cabinet. What I may end up doing is installing just one subwoofer first to see how it sounds.
It makes sense. I'm very proud of you...
You can test the almost perfect box with one woofer (small and very tight sealed enclosure with one driver) and be delighted with your jazz. At the same time you can manipulate your EQ to see if it gives good results with that not very critical sized box ~120 L.

DAYTON RSS315HFA-8, VB = 120.9 L, QTC = 0.686, Fc = 31.4 Hz
What is 3rd option of post #18, your best compromise to a perfect Qtc.
Speaker Box Calculations
Old 28th March 2013, 09:19 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
The context of running them sealed, they ran out of steam (xmax+) in HT use at loud but listenable volume.
I can see that, especially with movies that have a lot of action and special effects. Eventually, when I finish remodeling/reorganizing things in my house or move to another house, I'll probably end up building a ported HT subwoofer using an 18 or a couple of 15's. By the way, the EBP for the Daytons is 39.1, which supposedly makes it better suited for sealed designs than ported ones. Ideally, shouldn't I choose a subwoofer with a much higher EBP if I were going to go the ported route?
Old 28th March 2013, 09:38 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Later in time you can make one per side (if your space allows). Maybe you are set in a small living/family-room/study?! But would work great for a nice jazz performance home auditorium.
Old 28th March 2013, 09:45 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

jazzcyclist,
Relating to your last post please google/read the so many threads and topics about sealed vs. bass-reflex.
BR needs a complete set of drivers (EBP). When doing your project like many great designers do is that they fall in love, kind off, with a certain driver or model (sound et al.).
So if you know what you're doing, that will take you a long time, and maybe only if you don't like your current results, what I doubt it will happen.
Old 29th March 2013, 02:46 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
DAYTON RSS315HFA-8, VB = 120.9 L, QTC = 0.686, Fc = 31.4 Hz
What is 3rd option of post #18, your best compromise to a perfect Qtc.
Speaker Box Calculations
For whatever it's worth, the Dayton Audio RS1202K subwoofer has a Qtc of 1.00, based on the WinISD calculations.
Old 29th March 2013, 03:29 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
For whatever it's worth, the Dayton Audio RS1202K subwoofer has a Qtc of 1.00, based on the WinISD calculations.
Yes, look below.
(2.1ft³ = 59.465L for 2x drivers)

Your mistake if using a two driver system instead of one driver for the same internal volume is that you need a driver for smaller enclosure volume. This, if not using equalization like in the case you are comparing to (sub Dayton Audio RS1202K). Does it make any sense to you?! Summarizing, without EQ you need eventually a bigger box (it's this case) or another driver for a smaller box, there are drivers for 30/40 L enclosures with a better Qtc closer to 0.707.
http://www.daytonaudio.com/media/res...ser-manual.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAYTON RSS315HFA-8, VB = 30.0 L, QTC = 1.008.jpg (92.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Dayton Audio RS1202K.jpg (120.8 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Inductor; 29th March 2013 at 03:31 AM.
Old 29th March 2013, 03:38 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

No one dies if you use higher Qtc, i.e. for two drivers in same enclosure (~120 L).
(2ft³ = 56.634L)
DAYTON RSS315HFA-8, VB = 56.6 L, QTC = 0.821

Hide this!Advertise here!