Subwoofer cabinet advice - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2013, 01:19 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

I just ordered two Dayton Audio RSS315HFA-8 subwoofers and a Crown XLS 2000 amplifier. I'll post pictures of the completed project when I'm done.
Old 28th March 2013, 01:29 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 12" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm High Fidelity Reference Series 295-464

Ported.
Old 28th March 2013, 01:31 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
After much deliberation, I've pretty much decided on using two DAYTON AUDIO RSS315HFA-8 subwoofers in a sealed design based on the advice of one of the folks at Parts Express.
You may run into oil-canning issues with the HF in an enclosure of that size.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=...48&safe=images

Sealed is over-rated.

Last edited by turbodawg; 28th March 2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 28th March 2013, 03:21 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
You may run into oil-canning issues with the HF in an enclosure of that size.
Are you suggesting that this enclosure is too small despite the fact that it's twice the size of the enclosure provided with the Dayton Audio RS1202K subwoofer kit?
Quote:
Sealed is over-rated.
Why do you think so many of the high-end subwoofer manufacturers use sealed designs? Why do you think the technical folks at Parts Express are advocating a sealed design for a product that I'm buying from them anyway?
Old 28th March 2013, 04:43 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

jazzcyclist,
Most of diy'ers members don't follow instructions (like you).
We are here just for fun.
(ps. I don't care who says what in PE. Go to their forum if you like it best.)
Old 28th March 2013, 06:53 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Are you suggesting that this enclosure is too small despite the fact that it's twice the size of the enclosure provided with the Dayton Audio RS1202K subwoofer kit?

Why do you think so many of the high-end subwoofer manufacturers use sealed designs? Why do you think the technical folks at Parts Express are advocating a sealed design for a product that I'm buying from them anyway?
Upon further reading, it seems their noise issues were addressed:

OCI: Oil Canning Investigation

Regardless, the box is still on the small side for those and sealed provides no improvement in sound quality vs. a properly designed ported box which will have better extension.
Old 28th March 2013, 07:30 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Regardless, the box is still on the small side for those and sealed provides no improvement in sound quality vs. a properly designed ported box which will have better extension.
I know WinISD calculates an internal volume of 194 liter for a sealed design using these subwoofers, but it's my understanding that you have a lot more latitude with the cabinet size when you're building a sealed enclosure, as opposed to a ported one, which is a lot less forgiving when you deviate too much from the ideal size.
Old 28th March 2013, 07:43 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I know WinISD calculates an internal volume of 194 liter for a sealed design using these subwoofers, but it's my understanding that you have a lot more latitude with the cabinet size when you're building a sealed enclosure, as opposed to a ported one, which is a lot less forgiving when you deviate too much from the ideal size.
Yes, you'll just get less extension. Which is fine if you have a small room and/or a PEQ and no need for any serious output. My pair of 15" ref HO's run out of steam pretty quickly when run sealed/eq'd.
Old 28th March 2013, 08:13 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have a subwoofer cabinet that I've had for years which I never used due to a change in plans. The cabinet is very sturdily constructed (1.5-inch walls and 2-inch baffle) and has an internal volume of 4.27 cubic feet (121 liters)
Hey, your cabinet works better with one woofer than with two, see post #18 option a for 2 woofers (60or ~56 about the same) for very high Qtc. That's no good, that's just my point to you... oink oink oink or bell curve without EQ.
Quote:
I just ordered two Dayton Audio RSS315HFA-8 subwoofers
Good luck.
Old 28th March 2013, 08:18 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

The same (above post) with sealed or bass reflex anyway...

Hide this!Advertise here!