Subwoofer cabinet advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
You may run into oil-canning issues with the HF in an enclosure of that size.
Are you suggesting that this enclosure is too small despite the fact that it's twice the size of the enclosure provided with the Dayton Audio RS1202K subwoofer kit?
Sealed is over-rated.
Why do you think so many of the high-end subwoofer manufacturers use sealed designs? Why do you think the technical folks at Parts Express are advocating a sealed design for a product that I'm buying from them anyway?

Are you suggesting that this enclosure is too small despite the fact that it's twice the size of the enclosure provided with the Dayton Audio RS1202K subwoofer kit?

Why do you think so many of the high-end subwoofer manufacturers use sealed designs? Why do you think the technical folks at Parts Express are advocating a sealed design for a product that I'm buying from them anyway?

Upon further reading, it seems their noise issues were addressed:

OCI: Oil Canning Investigation

Regardless, the box is still on the small side for those and sealed provides no improvement in sound quality vs. a properly designed ported box which will have better extension.

Regardless, the box is still on the small side for those and sealed provides no improvement in sound quality vs. a properly designed ported box which will have better extension.
I know WinISD calculates an internal volume of 194 liter for a sealed design using these subwoofers, but it's my understanding that you have a lot more latitude with the cabinet size when you're building a sealed enclosure, as opposed to a ported one, which is a lot less forgiving when you deviate too much from the ideal size.

I know WinISD calculates an internal volume of 194 liter for a sealed design using these subwoofers, but it's my understanding that you have a lot more latitude with the cabinet size when you're building a sealed enclosure, as opposed to a ported one, which is a lot less forgiving when you deviate too much from the ideal size.

Yes, you'll just get less extension. Which is fine if you have a small room and/or a PEQ and no need for any serious output. My pair of 15" ref HO's run out of steam pretty quickly when run sealed/eq'd.

I have a subwoofer cabinet that I've had for years which I never used due to a change in plans. The cabinet is very sturdily constructed (1.5-inch walls and 2-inch baffle) and has an internal volume of 4.27 cubic feet (121 liters)
Hey, your cabinet works better with one woofer than with two, see post #18 option a for 2 woofers (60or ~56 about the same) for very high Qtc. That's no good, that's just my point to you... oink oink oink or bell curve without EQ.
I just ordered two Dayton Audio RSS315HFA-8 subwoofers
Good luck. ;)

Hey, your cabinet works better with one woofer than with two, see post #18 option a for 2 woofers (60or ~56 about the same) for very high Qtc. That's no good, that's just my point to you... oink oink oink or bell curve without EQ.

Good luck. ;)
But aren't those numbers for two subwoofers in a 56-liter cabinet? I'll be putting them in a 121-liter cabinet. What I may end up doing is installing just one subwoofer first to see how it sounds. I can always cut another hole later. By the way, my crossover does have a bass equalizer to help out with the low bass extension.

I'll be putting them in a 121-liter cabinet. What I may end up doing is installing just one subwoofer first to see how it sounds.
It makes sense. I'm very proud of you... :D :D
You can test the almost perfect box with one woofer (small and very tight sealed enclosure with one driver) and be delighted with your jazz. At the same time you can manipulate your EQ to see if it gives good results with that not very critical sized box ~120 L. :)

DAYTON RSS315HFA-8, VB = 120.9 L, QTC = 0.686, Fc = 31.4 Hz
What is 3rd option of post #18, your best compromise to a perfect Qtc.
Speaker Box Calculations

The context of running them sealed, they ran out of steam (xmax+) in HT use at loud but listenable volume.
I can see that, especially with movies that have a lot of action and special effects. Eventually, when I finish remodeling/reorganizing things in my house or move to another house, I'll probably end up building a ported HT subwoofer using an 18 or a couple of 15's. By the way, the EBP for the Daytons is 39.1, which supposedly makes it better suited for sealed designs than ported ones. Ideally, shouldn't I choose a subwoofer with a much higher EBP if I were going to go the ported route?

jazzcyclist,
Relating to your last post please google/read the so many threads and topics about sealed vs. bass-reflex.
BR needs a complete set of drivers (EBP). When doing your project like many great designers do is that they fall in love, kind off, with a certain driver or model (sound et al.).
So if you know what you're doing, that will take you a long time, and maybe only if you don't like your current results, what I doubt it will happen.

For whatever it's worth, the Dayton Audio RS1202K subwoofer has a Qtc of 1.00, based on the WinISD calculations.
Yes, look below.
(2.1ft³ = 59.465L for 2x drivers)

Your mistake if using a two driver system instead of one driver for the same internal volume is that you need a driver for smaller enclosure volume. This, if not using equalization like in the case you are comparing to (sub Dayton Audio RS1202K). Does it make any sense to you?! Summarizing, without EQ you need eventually a bigger box (it's this case) or another driver for a smaller box, there are drivers for 30/40 L enclosures with a better Qtc closer to 0.707.
http://www.daytonaudio.com/media/resources/300-766-dayton-audio-rs1202-user-manual.pdf

Attachments

• DAYTON RSS315HFA-8, VB = 30.0 L, QTC = 1.008.jpg
    DAYTON RSS315HFA-8, VB = 30.0 L, QTC = 1.008.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Dayton Audio RS1202K.jpg
    Dayton Audio RS1202K.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.