About sub boxes.. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2013, 10:29 PM   #11
kouiky is offline kouiky  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, and depending on the driver it may offer a wide peak.
Old 27th February 2013, 10:36 PM   #12
tigox is offline tigox  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouiky View Post
Yes, and depending on the driver it may offer a wide peak.
so what are optimal caracteristics on a driver i should look for?
Old 27th February 2013, 10:53 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Generally, a Qts lower than .6, an Fs in the region that you wish to realistically reproduce without EQ, and a very low Vas, indicating a stiff mechanical compliance. The Hi-Vi SP10, Dayton Ultimax and Scan Speak aluminum 9" subwoofer each fall under the category by some means. They all will produce extended bass to 20Hz or lower in relatively small enclosures requiring no EQ. Now to answer your question- what woofer characteristics would offer a wide Q peak and maximum band gain in a small box? I can't think off the top of my head because its exactly the type of system I avoid. LOL It can however be achieved by using a low Vas/ low Qts driver in a box too small. A high Qts driver can have an unwanted narrow FR peak, like the one in the picture you generously provided.

Last edited by kouiky; 27th February 2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 27th February 2013, 11:35 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

At this point one may pose the question: "If I can get great extension from a driver that makes deep bass in a small enclosure, why would I ever consider using a driver that requires a box the size of a refrigerator to do the same thing?" The answer is because they do not do the exact same thing. This brings us back full circle to efficiency and compliance. Low Vas drivers have large magnets to help overcome the high losses of stiff controlling suspension, but are still lower in efficiency compared to high Vas drivers. High Vas compliance drivers do not fight rigid suspension that is set in concrete, but often need support in the lowers frequency region. You've probably read "high efficiency drivers sound more detailed and lifelike" from many high efficiency builders, and to some degree there is truth in this. However, I've found its often mitigated by the fact that you can get superior performance from drivers in intermediate efficiency dB range that rival or outright trump many high efficiency drivers, and thus I prefer to find my intermediate point where I get the best of both worlds.

Last edited by kouiky; 27th February 2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 28th February 2013, 02:09 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default It really can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigox View Post
oh ok, but what i don't get is how can a subwoofer work in such a small space?
If you run test tones you will see very little (sub) output for a given number of watts fed into it. Those micro subs may have a nice peak at 50-60hz but drop off fast below tuning.
High excursion drivers and ton's of power/eq can work in a small box but hoffmans iron law is still in working against it.
Old 28th February 2013, 08:01 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

^ +1

Also, electrical compression is often used to reduce the peak power into the subwoofer (you can hear it cut in occasionally when cranked).

Hook a "sub" like that up to a clean, powerful amplifier and see what it can actually do.
Old 28th February 2013, 09:17 PM   #17
tigox is offline tigox  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
^ +1

Also, electrical compression is often used to reduce the peak power into the subwoofer (you can hear it cut in occasionally when cranked).

Hook a "sub" like that up to a clean, powerful amplifier and see what it can actually do.
Yeah i hooked it up to my kenwood car amp and it was freakking amasing O_o , very good quality/power this kenwood amp, very worth the price

__________________________________________________ _______________

So this got me thinking, how do i calculate a box that "pulls some plugs" in these subwoofers to have a good bass for the size?

Hide this!Advertise here!