$300 TH-50 Knockoff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I really <3 my TH-Mini "clone", but it doesn't play low enough*. But it's been my reference sub for nearly half a decade. I built my own 'homage' to the DTS-20, but it nearly killed me**.

Third time might be the charm though. Here's how you can build an alternative to the TH-50, for about $300.

th-50-01.jpg

First off, based on some information from here*** I believe this is the folding scheme of the TH-50. I may be wrong.

You can get the dimensions of the TH-50 from the PDF here:www.mediah.com/product/download.html?filename=mall8_C.pdf

This is not a small device. It's over 22 cubic feet, or at least the 'original' one is. My take on it is smaller.

* http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/129226-smallest-tapped-horn.html

** http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/168737-night-living-bassheads.html

*** http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/215630-my-newest-toy-making.html

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here's what I believe is the driver in the TH-50 (MTX 9515)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here's one with a custom finish

th-50-02.jpg

Here's the specs for hornresp

th-50-04.jpg

Here's the published response

th-50-03.jpg

Here's hornresp's prediction, using my 'guestimate' of the folding as pictured in post one, with the MTX driver. Looks pretty close I'd say - note the dips and peaks correspond.

images

Here's how you get the price down from $600 or so to half the cost. Alpine SWR-1522D is a car audio driver that seems to be exceptionally affordable if you buy it online. You might consider the Alpine because there doesn't appear to be another driver available in the world that combines this much output, at this price, with a flat BL curve. (IE there are a handful of drivers that put out more, such as the FI infinite baffle drivers, but they don't have a flat BL curve and the qts is too high for such a 'small' tapped horn.)

th-50-05.jpg

Here's the simulated response of the Alpine versus the MTX. The Alpine is a little bit smoother.

*** In order to get this response, I had to lower the depth of the enclosure ***
I reduced the enclosure volume by exactly one third. So instead of being 25.5" deep, the enclosure is 17" deep. In all other respects, the tapped horn is identical to the TH-50. Same folding, same length, same throat, same mouth, etc. Identical.

To get the Alpine driver, just look on Google products. (Not sure if we're allowed to post links to resellers. It is currently available for less than $200, including postage.)

th-50-08.jpg

In the impedance plots, we see it's basically identical for both drivers.

th-50-07.jpg

The group delay of the Alpine is a little bit cleaner at the lowest frequencies

th-50-06.jpg

Excursion of the two drivers is basically identical, because they're both 15s. The MTX will get a bit louder, as it has about 50% more excursion. (That should be good for about 2 more dB of output.) But you can fit three of the Alpine tapped horns in the same footprint as two of the TH-50s would take, and the cost would still be lower, because the Alpine is selling for less than $200 per driver, while the MTX is more than twice as much. If you can find it. (It's been discontinued.)

Best of all, the Alpine has a flat BL curve.

GuessWhat.jpg

You

..................You Guy

Why WHY are you linking to the Koreans These Guy's are infected with

...............................................who knows what

...................a virus or something

they even apologize.................................. on their homepage

..................................... WOW!

mediah.com isn't a malware site; it's Danleys distributor in Seoul Korea:

"Among the duties he assumed when he joined HGU in 2002, Dong-wook Seo is the man responsible for the Hyoam Anex Hall and its concert sound system – and recently undertook an upgrade of the main front-of-house loudspeaker system with help from Seoul-based contractor Media House. ‘The old system gave very low intelligibility for speech,’ Mr Seo explains, ‘but the new system is really fit for a house of worship. It is a totally different sound.’

The system is based on Danley Sound Labs line array loudspeakers, Crown amplification, and Dolby Lake processing, with the 48-channel Midas Venice console that had been installed as part of the previous year’s budget retained for mixing FOH and monitors. Specifically the system uses two Danley SH50 and DFA full-range, point-source cabinets, with a single TH-115 subwoofer on each side of the stage."

University challenge - Worship - ProAudio-Central.com

This would be a nice affordable build, I am currently without a sub and as I work for a living, (poor) I am all about the lowest cost best performance. I currently have wood cut for 2 of Art's Keystones but no money for drivers atm :( .
The plan you posted is kinda rough, I will draw it up in sketchup to figure out how to build and post here, any more details would help :)

*** In order to get this response, I had to lower the depth of the enclosure ***
I reduced the enclosure volume by exactly one third. So instead of being 25.5" deep, the enclosure is 17" deep. In all other respects, the tapped horn is identical to the TH-50. Same folding, same length, same throat, same mouth, etc. Identical.

Did you try adding a taper to the first section of the enclosure (the throat) the way Tundra did on his?

mediah.com isn't a malware site; it's Danleys distributor in Seoul Korea:

Correct, but it appears that the sight has been compromised and there are complaints of data theft from visitors... This sort of stuff happens all the time, the owners don't know how to fix or prevent it and sometimes don't care if their operations are not affected. While I'm on the topic, why do you link to other forums? It's bad form and DIYMA is known for unscrupulous data collection.

So are you going to actually build this TH?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.