$300 TH-50 Knockoff - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2013, 02:02 PM   #21
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Y'all,

In case someone wants to put the data into Hornresp:

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PB_TH50_Clone.pdf (46.0 KB, 118 views)
Old 22nd February 2013, 02:40 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

The multiple driver thing doesn't add up from his posts.
Not trying to argue with you, but look at his posts. He said you can build one for under $300, with the alpine driver costing under $200. With more than one driver that's already over $400 without any Baltic Birch to build the cabinet.
Old 22nd February 2013, 05:12 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Hi m R g S r,

No problem from me either, I think I found what he is doing in Post #2: "...Alpine SWR-1522D...".

So he has a Hornresp Input for "four Alpine SWS-10D2", and then a Hornresp SPL for the "Alpine 15in. v. the MTX 15in.", and the Hornresp Input does not reflect the box from the drawing in Post #1.

It's all pretty clear now.

Regards,

Last edited by tb46; 22nd February 2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 22nd February 2013, 05:58 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
No problem from me either, I think I found what he is doing in Post #2: "...Alpine SWR-1522D...".

So he has a Hornresp Input for "four Alpine SWS-10D2", and then a Hornresp SPL for the "Alpine 15in. v. the MTX 15in.", and the Hornresp Input does not reflect the box from the drawing in Post #1.

It's all pretty clear now.
This one is pretty much as clear as most of Patrick's posts .

The Alpine SWR-1522D does look like a good value.
Old 22nd February 2013, 07:31 PM   #25
blossom is offline blossom  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Given the enclosure dimensions, I fail to see how you can use two drivers in it.
Old 23rd February 2013, 02:35 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Ah I see how. But I think the design is for one driver.
Old 24th February 2013, 08:59 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Art and TB46 noted some mistakes in my first and second post, so I took some time to double check, and make corrections.

First off, TB46 is correct - the hornresp data in post #2 is for a quad of the Alpine SWS-10D2, not the Alpine SWR-1542D.

Click the image to open in full size.
First off, here's the advertised frequency response and impedance of the Danley TH-50, which likely uses the now-discontinued MTX 9515 15" subwoofer. Note the location of the impedance dips and peaks; IMHO this helps 'guide us' to the correct folding and taper. In particular, the dips at 25 and 52hz, indicative of a resonance at those frequencies.

Here's the impedance response and frequency response of my 'guesstimate' of the TH-50, along with my variant on the same box, using the Alpine SWR-1522D.

Here's some notes on the two boxes:
  • The folding of the two boxes is *exactly* the same. The Danley TH-50 is 25.5" deep; the Alpine variant I've posted here is 17" deep. (One third less volume.)
  • On page one I made a mistake. I used the Thiel Small parameters from the MTX T815-44, instead of the MTX 9515. I've fixed that in these updated graphs.
  • For the 9515, I used the Thiele-Small parameters from data-bass.com (Data-Bass). According to their measurements, the 9515 is nominally an 8ohm driver. So in the graphs I've used 1000 watts into 8ohms for the 9515, and 1000 watts into 4ohms for the SWR-1522D. (2 ohm voice coils wired in series.)
  • Note that there's a strong correlation between the impedance peaks in the hornresp prediction for the 9515, and the published data. (See how they both have dips at 25hz and 52hz?) This is a good indicator that the horn geometry is a close match imho.

Here's the hornresp input screen for the TH-50 'guesstimate' with the MTX 9515

Here's the hornresp input screen for the Alpine SWR-1522D variant. Note that all volumes are 2/3rds as much, but all horn segments are of equal length.

This folding seems to work well with a ton of drivers; I was able to achieve even flatter response with four of the Alpine Type S 10" woofers. (That's the screen I accidentally posted on the first page, my mistake.) The Type S is a little flatter, but at a higher cost; for sheer output the $200 Alpine SWR-1522D is a monster.

The Danley TH-50 with the MTX 9515 has more output than my 'variant.' The nice thing about my 'variant' is that the driver is widely available, the box size is 1/3rd smaller, and three of my variants will equal the output of two th-50s, in the same footprint as two th-50s, at a lower cost.

Thanks to everyone for double checking my work!
Old 25th February 2013, 07:18 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Patrick, you mention both the Alpine SWR-1522D and Alpine SWR-1542D.
Are both these drive applicable to this design?
Old 25th February 2013, 01:50 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Hi Patrick Bateman,

Post #27: "... even flatter response with four of the Alpine Type S 10" woofers..."

Well, here you go again. :-) Just two questions:

1. How do you propose to mount four 10" drivers in this box?
2. Have you at least taken a look at the sketch I posted in Post #21?

Your data in Hornresp (Post #2, the dashed black lines in my roll-out drawing, that is labled 'From PB Hornresp') does not agree with the size of your box (Post #1, the blue solid roll-out lines labled 'From drawing') (even if executed in 1/2" wood, as I did in the drawing, the actual horn path is not even close to the size of the Hornresp horn path. By the way, I would not recommend that light a wood for this box).

Please, let me know if I missed something, as I find this to be an interesting example of the TH.

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PB_TH50_Clone_roll_out.pdf (18.7 KB, 49 views)
Old 25th February 2013, 04:44 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

The panel on the right, the one right behind the drivers magnet, that shouldn't be parallel with the cabinet's sidewall, should it?
Look at the TH-50...it's angled

Hide this!Advertise here!