Bass Horn with a Tempest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an Adire Audio Tempest 15" sub driver, i currently have it in a 9 cu ft box with two flared 4" ports tuned to about 20Hz with a PE 250W plate amp powering it. I enjoy the nice low end a ton its amazing to feel the walls move and watch the mirrors shake on the wall but it doesn't really have a great transience response that i would like above 40HZ.

I was wondering if I could use this driver in a folded horn, i know its going to be a huge box but thats part of the sexiness i think :D the T/S parms are

Re 3.5 Ohms
Qms 6.7
Qes .40
Fs 18.8 HZ
Vas 317L
Xmax 16.4 mm (one way)
SPL 89.1db w/m
Pmax 400 per coil 750 to the driver
Le 2.9mH
Mms 195 grams
Cms .34mm/N
Rms3.5N*s/m
Sd 779 cm^2
BL 14.2
No .51%

I have looked around and emailed Adire about horn loading it and they have no real knowledge about anyone doing such a thing, they have heard of someone loading a Shiva (12") and a Mealstorm (18") but not with a tempest. I am just looking for a general idea if this would be worth my time (i got about month off from school durring xmas break and MDF is cheap)

Also if anyone knows of a set of plans that i could kinda go by that would be great. I am sort of new to the whole horn business but i am really interested in the high sensitivity and greater output that horns provide,

Thanks for any help you guys give.

A very quick play with Hornresp would seem to indicate unsatisfactory results, most likely due to very low Fs of driver. Horn loading will lower effective Fs, and best results are obtained when Fs is higher than horn cutoff frequency. To get best results from this driver you would need very low cutoff frequency, which would probably mean room corner loading would be needed to keep mouth area smaller than the room itself ! Would be very surprised if this speaker will work properly in any available existing plans.

Would suggest you download Hornresp http://www.users.bigpond.com/dmcbean/ and have a fiddle...

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.