Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2003, 01:57 AM   #1
G4ME is offline G4ME  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to G4ME
Default Bass Horn with a Tempest

I have an Adire Audio Tempest 15" sub driver, i currently have it in a 9 cu ft box with two flared 4" ports tuned to about 20Hz with a PE 250W plate amp powering it. I enjoy the nice low end a ton its amazing to feel the walls move and watch the mirrors shake on the wall but it doesn't really have a great transience response that i would like above 40HZ.

I was wondering if I could use this driver in a folded horn, i know its going to be a huge box but thats part of the sexiness i think the T/S parms are

Re 3.5 Ohms
Qms 6.7
Qes .40
Fs 18.8 HZ
Vas 317L
Xmax 16.4 mm (one way)
SPL 89.1db w/m
Pmax 400 per coil 750 to the driver
Le 2.9mH
Mms 195 grams
Cms .34mm/N
Rms3.5N*s/m
Sd 779 cm^2
BL 14.2
No .51%

I have looked around and emailed Adire about horn loading it and they have no real knowledge about anyone doing such a thing, they have heard of someone loading a Shiva (12") and a Mealstorm (18") but not with a tempest. I am just looking for a general idea if this would be worth my time (i got about month off from school durring xmas break and MDF is cheap)

Also if anyone knows of a set of plans that i could kinda go by that would be great. I am sort of new to the whole horn business but i am really interested in the high sensitivity and greater output that horns provide,

Thanks for any help you guys give.
Old 22nd November 2003, 07:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

MM sexy basshorns
Click the image to open in full size.

You didnt state
maximum box size
Frequency response

link1

Link2

be aware they ARE the hardest enclosures to build.Its probably easier to use an existing design than redesign a box for the tempest,some woofers simply arent good for it spec wise.

Cheers
Old 22nd November 2003, 10:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

A very quick play with Hornresp would seem to indicate unsatisfactory results, most likely due to very low Fs of driver. Horn loading will lower effective Fs, and best results are obtained when Fs is higher than horn cutoff frequency. To get best results from this driver you would need very low cutoff frequency, which would probably mean room corner loading would be needed to keep mouth area smaller than the room itself ! Would be very surprised if this speaker will work properly in any available existing plans.

Would suggest you download Hornresp http://www.users.bigpond.com/dmcbean/ and have a fiddle...

Cheers
Old 22nd November 2003, 11:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I concur.wobbly frequency response no matter what when i use it.

play with mcbeans prob.Come back with any Questions.

or just use some one elses design,because folding and designing horns isnt what most people call 'fun' although i enjoy learning
Old 23rd November 2003, 11:25 PM   #5
G4ME is offline G4ME  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to G4ME
yeah i did some more research and asked a few other people and it deffinatly doesn't look that do able with that driver, the box would be about the size of my dorm,

Al though how cool would it be to live in a folded horn you guys thing my roommate would mind?
Old 25th November 2003, 09:55 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

if u get a lab12 woofer,it can produce good results.

im planning on building a basshorn for that very soon.( a 40hz horn as 30hz would take up a huge amount of time,space,money)

Cheers!

Hide this!Advertise here!