Virtual Organ Stacked Horn Sub Questions - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2013, 12:46 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Are you buying amps or using whatever is already there? If you have to work with existing amps that will narrow down your driver choices a bit.
Old 14th February 2013, 12:58 AM   #12
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Hi,

Played with an earlier suggested driver...

Did you test simulating ' Organ-subs' like a T-TQWT or a T-QWP's that in the reality really can pass a 16'stopped pipe tone whitout adding 'Horn' sounding 'strained' due to the work with a a very high compression'?

b
Old 14th February 2013, 04:10 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Not sure I understand your question. e.g.

Click the image to open in full size.

The Stereo Integrity seemed to prefer a straight pipe. I didn't do TH for the Stereo Integrity but I did for Lab12 and Titanic 15. They did have some compression but not a huge amount.

Lab12...

Titanic...

Attached Images
File Type: png StIntTL.png (23.5 KB, 240 views)
File Type: png Lab12TH.png (27.6 KB, 148 views)
File Type: png Titanic15TH.png (25.4 KB, 147 views)
Old 14th February 2013, 01:06 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

At first I didn't get what you meant by T-TQWT. By the light of day I think I see that it is simple a TH with decreasing tapper rather than expanding horn. I can see that it should give a little bit better bandwidth (at the expense of a little bit of output) and probably be easier on the driver physically. I will run some sims when I get a chance and report back.

Thanks again for all the helpful input.
Old 19th February 2013, 12:46 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Just realized that I forgot to answer justaguy's question. Virtually everything including amplification will be new. We have a couple of 200WPC mixer amps that may be pressed into service for some of it but basically we are starting from scratch. I doubt that we will be spending the kilo-bucks necessary for multiple kilowatt per channel amps so IB is probably out of the question and reasonable efficiency would be a goal.
Old 19th February 2013, 01:35 AM   #16
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

q4u:

If "almost all" real organs do the 'missing fundamental' thing, and don't really have 64' ranks... why would you need 16hz?

Does your virtual organ patch do a real C0, or does it beat together two tones for a missing fundamental? (hauptwerk?)

Double check before you design your pedal section.

Last edited by jbell; 19th February 2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 19th February 2013, 04:16 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

32' rank is 16Hz, 64 would be 8Hz. Several dispositions do have 32' flutes or diapasons which will have a pretty good fundamental.
Old 19th February 2013, 09:01 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashaffer View Post
I doubt that we will be spending the kilo-bucks necessary for multiple kilowatt per channel amps...
It's not just drivers that are dropping dramatically in price these days.

Aliexpress.com : Buy fp14000 digital power amplifiers from Reliable professional amplifier suppliers on Guangzhou Sanway Audio Factory

A bit less than 1 kilo-buck will get you 14000 watts rms if you don't mind dealing directly with China (and the problems that can come from that).
Old 19th February 2013, 11:34 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Have you checked the resonance frequency of any walls, ceiling and floor?
As well as any pillars/supports?

Many organs not using 16Hz is probably not because they couldn't but because they shouldn't. Structural damage put the end to any 8Hz organ built.

I would not buy the amp above. Designing an amp with that amount of power takes a bit more effort than point and clone. Or they could have improved quality over LABgruppen, they certainly have higher power specifications.
Old 19th February 2013, 04:37 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Web View Post
I would not buy the amp above. Designing an amp with that amount of power takes a bit more effort than point and clone. Or they could have improved quality over LABgruppen, they certainly have higher power specifications.
These amps are famous for having issues, but the issues are more along the lines of quality control and packaging, not engineering. But even so, there's a whole community of people that are extremely happy with them, even people that received them DOA due to improper voltage setup (fixed by adjusting a variable resistor) and people who received them slightly smashed due to improper packaging. Being able to overlook issues like that and still be a happy customer is a pretty strong endorsement.

Lab Gruppen FP14000 clone amplifiers

If you don't like the risk and prefer to have a middleman between yourself and China, the Behringer EP4000 is available for around $300 from WalMart.

The point here is that power is not expensive anymore, especially if you live in the USA.

Hide this!Advertise here!