Isobaric tapped horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi tinitus,

The best way to answer your question is in Hornresp. Take any TH (e.g.: jbell's SS15), and calculate the SPL response, then change the driver to isobaric (Edit/Tools/Driver Arrangement) and also divide all S values by 2. The result should be pretty much the same response only 6dB lower because of the doubled impedance (same volatage, half the current); see attachement (and yes, they are not identical):

Regards,

Attachments

• SS15_short_S1_single_v_isobaric_SPL.jpg
    SS15_short_S1_single_v_isobaric_SPL.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 434
is that correctly calculated ?

looks like the peak stays the same, but useable output is much less, so...not so good :confused:
If the speakers were in parallel rather than series, the output would be about the same, but would use twice the power and drivers, still "...not so good".

Really, the only reason to consider isobaric is when using low Bl (whimpy magnet) drivers that can't push the air column without "teaming up".

Here is an example:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/206955-10-plus-wood-18hz-isot-tqwp-sub.html

If only one of those cheap drivers were used, the response would look like a "U" instead of "--".

Art

Really, the only reason to consider isobaric is when using low Bl (whimpy magnet) drivers that can't push the air column without "teaming up".

Hi Art,

Being the thread starter who lost interest a long time ago due to the fact I didn't bother to look at the driver Q before posting, I urge you to look at the first post to see why dual driver isobaric is a viable option for me. There's no need for sensitivity, the watts are there, I have a desire to downsize the cabinet, that's all. I have the 'whimpy' drivers and they aren't suited to a TH, that's the end of story for me. Thanks for adding your thoughts.

Cheers.

If the speakers were in parallel rather than series, the output would be about the same, but would use twice the power and drivers, still "...not so good".

Here is an example:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/206955-10-plus-wood-18hz-isot-tqwp-sub.html

If only one of those cheap drivers were used, the response would look like a "U" instead of "--".

Art

So then how does that McCauley (spelling?) 4 21" B&C powered tapped horn make any sense?

(It doesn't btw....just wondering what they were thinking producing it...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.