Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2013, 08:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default RCF L18P300-ND for home

Hello.Does anyone have an experience on these drivers?Or some advice?I want to make a subwoofer with this and use it for home cinema and also for hi end system(2fullrange + subwoofer).I will use it for my 20m2 little saloon but in future i may move to a bigger house.In my country we can not find hi end subwoofers and i am tend to use PA woofers.They can be found easily here(also shipping is very expensive for big subwoofers from USA and EU)

The L18P300ND finds its application in bass reflex and band pass system.. Its
capacity to reproduce extremely low frequencies along with extraordinary definition
make it a no compromise woofer in its category, ideal for live and recorded music.
here is link
http://images4.thomann.de/pics/atg/a...ecs/207010.pdf

Parameters seems good.Better than most hi end subs.And price is also good in Turkey.Eminence drivers are 2 times expensive than USA prices but RCF brand subwoofers and drivers are at same price.So i think i will have a very good subwoofer in a good price.I will not pay for shipping costs.Little hi end subs with shipping cost makes same price so i want to try this subwoofer.
I did not have an experiment with pro drivers but i listened to one subwoofer with pro driver and it was really really wonderful.I did not remember the brand
Can it give good sound with low distortion between 1-10 watts power too?I do not know anything about this.
Waiting some reply.Thanks in advance.
Old 7th February 2013, 09:02 PM   #2
OMNIFEX is offline OMNIFEX  Jamaica
diyAudio Member

Feeding an 18-inch Pro Audio woofer 1 - 10 watts is a waste of time since they are designed to operate on hundreds to thousands of watts.
Old 7th February 2013, 09:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

umut1001,
I don't know that particular speaker itself but I will attest to the quality of the RCF products. These would be of a higher quality than the eminence and as long as they have the fs value that you need to produce the lowest frequency you are after I don't think that you would be making a mistake using this brand of devices. Good luck on your design.
Old 7th February 2013, 09:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Omniflex,
Don't confuse power handling with efficiency. The efficiency will tell you where you are with power requirements not the ultimate upper level power handling limits.
Old 7th February 2013, 10:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you Kindhornman.You are speaking what i want to hear
This sentence impressed me in datasheet "Its
capacity to reproduce extremely low frequencies along with extraordinary definition"
It means it is hi-end for me.
I am searching if there is a better driver.Drivers must be B&C or RCF.Because of they are made in Italy,they are cheaper and better(because of Italy is not far from Turkey,it reduces shipping costs,so i can buy a better driver in a better price)
Onur İlkorur(acoustic engineer) claimed that Eighteen sound 15NLW900 is very good but in datasheet only advantage over RCF L18p300ND is the "Le" parameter and slightly better Xmas.
Some people claim Pro drivers are good for home,some says bad.I will try them asap.
If you find a better driver please tell me(only Italian drivers because they can be found in Turkey very easily and also in a good price )
Old 7th February 2013, 10:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Umut,
You really can't go wrong with either of those companies as long as you have the proper fs value and efficiency rating. They are both very well made products from two companies that I can highly recommend from the proaudio side of things. Good luck on your project, I don't think that you will be disappointed if you use either one of the brands. They are both well known to me here in the USA and both are highly regarded here.
Old 7th February 2013, 11:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes i see.What about this driver?
http://images4.thomann.de/pics/atg/a...ecs/114043.pdf
It seems it is better for critical studio applications because it has better Xmas.But Le parameter is higher.It is 2,5mH
I read something about Le parameters on diyaudio.Some people says it is important some says not important.Does it affect speed of the driver much?What do you think?
Old 7th February 2013, 11:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

That is one hell of a driver there! It is rather large and is going to need a large enclosure to go with it to produce the low frequency you desire. The LE figure is for 1Khz and you really won't be using this driver that high in the band for a sub woofer so I wouldn't worry about that. If you want to use the driver much over 150hz I would add a Zobel network immediately before the binding post on the speaker to tame the impedance rise. The efficiency is certainly high enough to work without needing massive amounts of power. This truly is a proaudio driver made for concert sound levels. It would work nicely in my double 18" bass horn enclosures! The moving mass is going to set the speed of the driver as much as anything else that I see. It does however seem to be massive overkill for such a small room as you are going to use these in.
Old 8th February 2013, 03:35 AM   #9
OMNIFEX is offline OMNIFEX  Jamaica
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Omniflex,
Don't confuse power handling with efficiency. The efficiency will tell you where you are with power requirements not the ultimate upper level power handling limits.
And don't confuse a small driver to an 18-inch driver. You need current to drive an 18-inch woofer.

Considering 10 watts @ 8-ohms offers a current of 1.1 amps or 8.9 volts, I'm not sure what is the benefit of attaching a 10-watt amplifier to an 18-inch Pro Audio woofer.

From an asthetic point of view it may look impressive but, the amplifier will run into clipping before the loudspeaker's xmax comes into play.
Old 8th February 2013, 03:50 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Omni,
I am not saying that he needs an 18" speaker for such a small room. Actually I think the size of the cabinet is going to be more than a bit large for such a small room and I wouldn't want that myself. But as far as the power goes he may only need 1 watt in his room for bass with that efficiency of 99db for one watt. It isn't current he needs it is voltage driving the speaker. I have 6" speakers that could drive you out of the room and the bass is getting down to 35hz so I don't even need to think about large speakers. I can easily hit over 110 db no problem and if I had an 18" speaker putting out massive low bass my neighbors would not be very happy about that. I also build horn loaded systems so I understand both sides of the equation. I see all kinds of overkill here in what people think that they need. But that is their choice to make. I just looked at a thread where the guy was talking about 6 18" speakers in one room for distributed bass. Talking about overkill that is way beyond that.

Hide this!Advertise here!