dual 15" Reflex Sub help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
on post 55
i notice that the response at 40hz is just 90db
the rollof starts at 60hz
that means that you can tweak the width of the ss15
or the normal ss15 rolls of at 60hz
now i am worst that when i started
You are worse off now because you originally stated you wanted 35 Hz response, then started considering "subs" that roll off almost an octave above that :rolleyes:. Zero in on what is important to you.
My dual Lab12 front loaded box is similar size to the SS15, and kills the SS15 below 50 Hz or so, the SS15 kills the dual Lab 12 above.
The Keystone kills both in all respects, but is almost twice the size.

Art

Hi NEO Dan,

If you and others here would take the time to look through the singlesheet thread you would notice, that the measured response of this sub is lower than the Hornresp response indicates. Ultimately nobody can say what this, or any other, sub will do for a specific person in a specific application.

Juhazi's comment in Post #58 is completely of the mark, as I tried to point out in Post #60.

Maxo's question "...and that means....." just shows that he is quite confused by now. Which is somewhat understandable, partially because of comments like yours in Post #61.

Maxo,

I would not go beyound reducing the width of the SS15 by more than 3". For the application you described this sounds like a very nice subwoofer. If you want something that goes lower you will have to look at the Xoc1 TH18 or at Art's (Weltersys) Keystone; or, you have to go with a different technology, e.g.: a vented (bass reflex) enclosure, but, you'll loose overall SPL v. package size v. weight.

Well, have a nice day Y'all,

Regards,

Last edited:
Oliver thanks for the heads up and
looks like i will end making one slim ss15 and then one slim keystone and see what i like better :)
and then i can make the pair or 3 more to have 4

Hey art, you are right but at least
i have 3 choices, and look like the keystone is the one who flips me the eye but still in love with the ss15... damn i am not a man of a single woman :D
so can i make a slim keystone with 3 or 4 inches less wide and compensate on the height
or that is blasphemy

Last edited:
Hey art, you are right but at least
i have 3 choices, and look like the keystone is the one who flips me the eye but still in love with the ss15... damn i am not a man of a single woman :D
so can i make a slim keystone with 3 or 4 inches less wide and compensate on the height
Raising the cabinet height would lengthen the path length, which would lower the Fb slightly, and lower the sensitivity.

With limited power, you can use a 15" like the 15HP1030 or 15HP1060. But ultimately building with the 18SW115 is going to allow you to buy a "real" amp. 4-cabs of lesser performance is less satisfying than two that really work. And less to haul around...

Last edited:
Dan,
would my power amp in 4 ohms maybe actually like 3
because of the driver not being 8 ohms
To answer the question:
One pair 15HP1030-8 (-8 for 8 ohm) on your amp bridged seems like a great match IMO.
The DC resistance = RE is not the actual load the amp sees in operation. The load presented by the drivers varies with frequency and should not be a problem for the amp as long as you are operating within the amplifiers nominal rated load.

Unless you are using 4 ohm drivers and one amp bridged per cabinet it's not necessary to go 18", I can't speak for the performance of the TBW.
However I have used the 18SW115-4 and 15HP1030-8 in the same cabinets using an adapter ring so I know how that works out.

i think i can get 299 - 350 bucks driver but not past the 400 mark
so i will get one 1st then the other
now, any big advantage of filling the cabinet with an 18 instead of a 15
the BC 15TBX100 have a nice price

next thing after my cabs build is to get an xls drivecore 2500
and use it in bridge mode to feed 2 8 ohm cabs , it is rated at 2400 watts 4 ohms bridged
i am always looking for second hand baragains

Last edited:
can the 18tbw100 would be ok at the expense of 200 watts rms and ferrite magnet
The difference between 1500 and 1700 watts is less than a dB.
The BC18TBW100 specs are almost the same as the BC18SW115.
With the cost of the BC18SW115 having gone up so high, I'd definitely choose the BC18TBW100 now.
The weight difference between the drivers is not much compared to the total weight of the cabinet.

18" TBW is not strong enough, it's going to roll over and play dead <50Hz
Dan,

BL of the B&C18TBW100 is only about 13% less than the B&C18SW115, commensurate with the lesser Xmax/Xvar.
This thread has talked about so many cabinets I no longer know which you are talking about, but in the Keystone design the B&C18TBW100-8 response looks OK to me in the Hornresp simulation.

Although the Hornresp sim is not identical to the actual Keystone frequency response, you can see the B&C18TBW100-8 at half the power (reaching 13mm excursion) is basically within 3 dB output of the B&C18SW115-4 at 15mm excursion.

For a bit more than half the present cost of the B&C18SW115, the B&C18TBW100 looks like a good choice to me.

Art

Attachments

• BC18SW115, BC18TBW100.png
    BC18SW115, BC18TBW100.png
    454.9 KB · Views: 81
  • BC18SW115.png
    BC18SW115.png
    455.9 KB · Views: 82
  • BC18TBW100.png
    BC18TBW100.png
    426.4 KB · Views: 70
hope i haven't opened a can of worms here

Not for me. I have worked to build horns that exactly match My TH18 variant Hornresp expansion, including cone correction and path length correction for 2 pi loading so the electrical and acoustic measurements closely correlate with the Hornresp.

Art knows the Hornresp does not match the horn. I don't think Art would intentionally build a horn with a dip. At any rate I am confident the Keystone is good, in fact I am curious to build one and measure it. Having the spare $$$ to heat the shop for a couple days and decent ply are a factor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.