Beach Radio v5! (Sealed 3015LF sub)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Usually, the walls of those plastic coolers (we call them Eskys here in aus ) are hollow and flimsy. One trick Iv'e used to boost insulation but which could also be used to stiffen them up is to drill holes in one layer and using an aerosol-can squirt full of expandable foam. It's a bit messy but works a treat. Best to get multiple small cans instead of one big one as that gives you fresh can nozzles.

col.

Any opinions on these batteries? 4 of them for $216 is do-able for me, and can fit inside the cooler walls or in the top with some sneaky configuration.

Sinopoly 40 Amp Hour Lithium Battery
I was planning to get those, but they were not available, so went with the GBS I wrote about in post #9 and #11.

They spec about the same, the Sinopoly is actually slightly better on paper.
Did pretty extensive research, no glaring examples of any bad runs of either.

Just be sure to monitor individual battery voltage initially to see that they are charging equally, and definitely get the low voltage disconnect.

Unlike SLA, which give ample warning that they are running out of juice, the LiFp04 just fall off a cliff, and the chemistry can be destroyed if they are discharged too deep.

Art

Any way I can get a real value of what the Amps actually pull at high volume? Besides estimating and calculation, a current clamp I'm guessing?

Also with the solar panels feeding in about 20watts +/- that should be good for average 100 watts of music, correct? (Assuming around 1/5)

Any way I can get a real value of what the Amps actually pull at high volume? Besides estimating and calculation, a current clamp I'm guessing?

Also with the solar panels feeding in about 20watts +/- that should be good for average 100 watts of music, correct? (Assuming around 1/5)
The solar estimate seems low, most music has a crest factor of at least 10 dB, pink noise is 12 dB. The panel contribution may provide for 200 peak watts with the battery to even it out, but that would be full sun, so 1/5 probably would be closer to real world.
Anyway, 100 watts peak would be 8.33 peak amp draw at 12 volts with a 100% efficient amp, so peak draws of around 16 amps are probably more real world.

Well the amps will pull more than 100 watts when run all out, I was just figuring 20 watts from the solar panels in full sun (which it will be used in full sun only, on bright beach days) 100 watts from the 1/5 (5x) if the Panels can do closer to 200 watts average with the batteries ill be very happy!!

Well the amps will pull more than 100 watts when run all out, I was just figuring 20 watts from the solar panels in full sun (which it will be used in full sun only, on bright beach days) 100 watts from the 1/5 (5x) if the Panels can do closer to 200 watts average with the batteries ill be very happy!!

Ohhhhh I know a LITTLE about PV panels - me thinks you are being overly optimistic. For how long can you get 'full' sun? You have to re-orientate it 'every' hour. The wattage is using optimistic, as well. Plus circuit losses................

For the single large panel, I had it lying on top of the old beach radio, wired directly to two 12v fans in series.
The panel ran the fans at pretty high speed when just left in the sun on top of the old radio.

These fans:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=259-122

I figure that one plus another 12watt panel can do *roughly* 20 watts. I said I'd be very happy if it could charge the batteries enough for average 200 watts music; but I know it will be closer to charging enough for 100 watts of music.

Again this radio won't be used at full tilt all the time, but at times it will.

Last edited:
Back in the day, Pioneer would do mods to car amps and decks for a reasonable fee (A rep told me they offered it to people who are sponsored and compete, but anyone can have it done). I had one of my amps built to be stable to 2 ohm, and the deck had internal amp unplugged ( I later bought a better pre-amp deck).
Maybe you could find a small electronics repair place that could unplug the internal deck amp to make it a tad more efficient if using external amps... just sayin. Don't know if it will help but may be worth looking into. I can't imagine it would cost much of anything to do the mod.
I am curious to see how this box works out!

Maybe I should rethink the 40aH batteries then and stick with the 140min RC (at 25 amp draw) lead acid battery?

Idk what to do!

I use a pair of Powerstar PS12-22W 12volt 22AH AGM batteries (each weigh 17.64 pounds) in series to power a 24V 100 watt ElectricPaddle boat motor, and 2 hours of wide open use only used 10% of the charge.

That would mean you could run an average power of 100 watts on one 22AH battery for around 5 hours and only use 50% charge with no sun at all.

You probably don't need near 40AH with solar panels, but LiFp04 do save a lot of weight. 10 AH LiFp04 may be plenty with panels.

Art

I have a E-scooter that I would love to upgrade with 48v lithium batteries , then hope to use them with a portable PA. (Price of lithium packs is still too high :()

I recently upgraded my electric bike batteries from SLA AGM to LiFeP04.
Went from an effective range of only 4.2 miles before voltage sagged too much to be ridable to 39 miles.
Less weight, a lot more $$, but worth every penny.

Art

I guess this is thread hi-jacking, but I would love to know about the e-bike battery upgrades and e-bike controllers................. Where to discuss?

Being in China, Li type batteries are quite cheap! Sourcing direct from the factory is not a problem [for me].

I can deff. Cut out enough of the inner cooler walls to house these Lightweight batteries. This thing will be totally self contained then, and need no extra equipment! Just attach the iPod and play away. I'm liking that idea.

Also, I will have a power cutoff / circuit breaker so I can disconnect the batteries whenever not in use, and have the solar panels connected to the hot side (with a diode) so that they don't send 21volts to the electronics

Got some work done, didn't have time to get the other sheet of wood, so that will happen wed if I have time.

Decided to gut the inside bottom half of the plastic and foam, I will build the enclosure right to the bottom and fill the gaps between the enclosure and outter plastic with expanding foam
imagewon.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.