Beach Radio v5! (Sealed 3015LF sub)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got the top on. Have a little trimming of the foam and Gluing to do on the top.
imagesxy.jpg

Just a temp. Prop for the top. Will make a permanent one soon. And that wire is to the solar panel, it's not running through the port I just stuck it there
imagevzvu.jpg

Top view.
imagewsh.jpg

The shadows make the top look more mis-aligned than it really is. It is slightly warped, but not badly at all.
imageapk.jpg

Thanks!

I drilled some holes and injected foam between the plastic and the wood, everything is pretty rigid now!

It is getting heavy thou, I hope these plastic handles don't break. If they do I can fab up some new ones, but I wanted to keep the original look on the outside of the cooler, which is why I kept these handles.
imageucom.jpg

Got it outside for a few minutes today, there was a little bit of sun and 50deg! Only listened to it at high volume for a second or three, but distortion seems acceptable and no chuffing from the ports.

The battery I had was only putting out 11.85 volts under load (it's older and not fully charged) so with the lithium battery and all the panels connected in full summer sun this thing should rock!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I finally got the rest of the parts for this and finished it up. Well almost, just need a quick way to attach and detach the 4 gauge wire to the LiFe battery.
Installed the heavy duty 15" grill, and got the solar panel connectors soldered up and attached to the battery. This battery is so tiny and lightweight! And after a few hours in the sun at my friends house yesterday voltage was still at 13.42 volts after using it, more than the charged lead acid battery ever was fully charged. That means ill be getting more power out of the amps, which is awesome!

Here it is at my friends house while we were bbq'ing, can't wait to fire this up on the beach! :D

imageknl.jpg

This is the battery I went with, along with the smart charger for it. Came to $310 shipped for both I believe?

http://www.batteryspace.com/LiFePO4...8V-40Ah-512Wh-10C-Rate-without-Balancing.aspx

Last edited:
Funny you ask. I had it out at my family BBQ yesterday (playing some Sinatra hehe)
And my family members who have absolutely no understanding of audio asked if I could use it as a cooler still. Then said that would be so cool if it still worked as a cooler!

I just laughed, and agreed. ;)

Funny you ask. I had it out at my family BBQ yesterday (playing some Sinatra hehe)
And my family members who have absolutely no understanding of audio asked if I could use it as a cooler still. Then said that would be so cool if it still worked as a cooler!

I just laughed, and agreed. ;)

LOL !!!
all your MIT and NASA research , testing and design and they want a cooler!!!!
:D

hey, looks like you need a 40 amp charger
what you use to recharge it
The 40 amp LiFePO4 battery pack can use as much as a 40 amp charger could put out (1C), but can be charged at any fraction of that charge rate.

A dedicated charger designed for LiFePO4 is the safest bet, as the individual cells must be charged at no more than 3.8 volts (15.2 volts for a nominal 12 V series pack of four) or they can suffer permanent damage.
A static voltage around 13.6 is fully charged on the LiFePO4.

Many "normal" 12v chargers can be used, but most will not bring the LiFePO4 battery pack up to full charge. But the 80% discharge rate far exceeds the safe discharge of 50% on a lead acid battery, even if the LiFePO4 is only charged to 12.6 v("full charge" on a LA) it will still carry a lot more usable juice.

Art

The 40 amp LiFePO4 battery pack can use as much as a 40 amp charger could put out (1C), but can be charged at any fraction of that charge rate.

A dedicated charger designed for LiFePO4 is the safest bet, as the individual cells must be charged at no more than 3.8 volts (15.2 volts for a nominal 12 V series pack of four) or they can suffer permanent damage.
A static voltage around 13.6 is fully charged on the LiFePO4.

Many "normal" 12v chargers can be used, but most will not bring the LiFePO4 battery pack up to full charge. But the 80% discharge rate far exceeds the safe discharge of 50% on a lead acid battery, even if the LiFePO4 is only charged to 12.6 v("full charge" on a LA) it will still carry a lot more usable juice.

Art

Art. that is a lot of info you got there !
Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.