Beach Radio v5! (Sealed 3015LF sub)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Took a lot of cutting and melting plastic with the heat gun, but I got the larger panel to fit inside the top of the cooler!

imageomz.jpg

imagehenw.jpg

Taped the top with aluminum tape (stuff is super sticky) and got it ready to spray some expanding foam inside to try and lock the solar panel in place

imageyvxm.jpg

Clamped in place and sprayed some foam in there! I'll see how it comes out tomorrow!
imagepxfv.jpg

And re-glued the cheapo horn tweeters, the plastic waveguide separated from the compression driver

imagebuky.jpg

So after two 11" ports made of schedule 40 PVC and amps and driver displacement, I figure around 2.15-2.2 cubic feet
With dual 3" ports 11" long that should be roughly 36-37hz tuning. That shoud do and with only a 30hz high pass I think I'll still be fine given the wattage ill be running.

Two 35ah batteries in parallel would give me 70ah right?

Any reason not to use these two in parallel? (Same 50lbs total weight, both will fit in the duffle bag I have.....)
On paper, a pair will give you 70AH to full depletion.
No reason other than weight and expense not to use two.

That said, taking lead acid batteries below 50% charge (12.06 volts after a rest) shortens battery life quite a bit.
The group 27 marine lead acid batteries I used on my trike did not hold much charge after only 4 or five deep discharges.

So I think I'm going to just go with 4 of these, for $240 plus shipping they should last me a very long time. And if not on this project ill have them for years on other projects.

http://evolveelectrics.com/PDF/CALB/CALB_40AH.pdf
As long as you pay attention to not letting any of the cells get charged over 3.6V, or discharged below 2.8V, the batteries may outlast the rest of the system.

So it looks like this battery is $262 shipped to me. With the nickel connecting bars included.

LiFePO4 Prismatic Battery: 12.8V 40Ah , 12V 40Ah lithium battery

I think I'll just do that. Says in stock too.
Those appear to be the same GBS batteries as I purchased from EVolve.
I like the four screw battery posts better than the single post, but the specs are not as good as the other brand.

Build quality seemed good, only time will tell how many recharges they will do.
Been too cold for me to feel like riding the bike, so have not put on any more miles since post #9.

I like the progress. That thing is awesome...
I am curious to see how the power works out.
I have friends that go on hikes in the desert.
Would be fun to make a solar powered stereo for the back of the suburban :D
So we can bump tunes while relaxing after the hike...

Its Alive!!!

imagefzt.jpg

imagekgu.jpg

Grills on
imagejmt.jpg

Thinking of a grill solution for the 15". Just have to screw the top on, make some kind of prop to hold the top open when the radio is on its side, and inject a little more foam into the cooler between the Baltic birch and the plastic cooler walls.

Impression? It sounds pretty good for what it is! Plenty of bass to go with the midranges, tested to full output and a bunch of stuff was shaking in the workshop, no chuffing from the ports.

I hear a slight buzzing inside the box, gotta insulate some of the wires and plastic stuff inside from buzzing. Maybe it was the cooler walls too.
But basically just finishing touches left for her! I'm excited for it to get sunny and warm here in NY and test this stuff outdoors!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.