Beach Radio v5! (Sealed 3015LF sub) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2013, 04:26 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
Hmm how much are we talking for a comparable battery?

I used to work at a truck part store, they deal exclusively with deka, I can get the group 49 for around $75. And it will fit in a sturdy duffle bag that I have, at 50lbs it should be a breeze to carry strapped around my shoulder.
I am using the GBS-40Ah from GBS Lithium Batteries

Four in series are nominally 12.8 Volts, would weigh only 12.4 pounds, cost $248.
The amazing thing is you can pull peaks of 400 amps out of the pack with hardly any sag.
You can get by with much lower rated Ah LiFP04 than lead acid because they have virtually no Peukert's effect. Discharge of 80% causes no problems with them (over 1500 charges), but drastically shortens the life of lead acid batteries.
You would want a voltage regulator for the PV panel, LiFP04 can be damaged with too high of voltage in, though the size panel you have would probably be no problem under load.

Last edited by weltersys; 5th February 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 5th February 2013, 04:40 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

That's tempting. Pricey but tempting.

And yeah the solar panels are about 1amp each, roughly. I don't think they will be able to boost the voltage of the batteries enough to do damage....
Old 5th February 2013, 04:42 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Awsome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
I recently upgraded my electric bike batteries from SLA AGM to LiFeP04.
Went from an effective range of only 4.2 miles before voltage sagged too much to be ridable to 39 miles.
Less weight, a lot more $$, but worth every penny.

Art
I have a E-scooter that I would love to upgrade with 48v lithium batteries , then hope to use them with a portable PA. (Price of lithium packs is still too high )

Still debating if a decent 12v car amp will work better than TAS5630 chip at 50v
Old 5th February 2013, 05:01 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. doom View Post
I have a E-scooter that I would love to upgrade with 48v lithium batteries , then hope to use them with a portable PA. (Price of lithium packs is still too high )

Still debating if a decent 12v car amp will work better than TAS5630 chip at 50v
If you put connectors every 4 batteries, you could use them in parallel for a nominal 12V or series for a nominal 48V, or series parallel for 24V.

My 24 volt motor really has some "get up and go" with non-sagging 50+ volts.
Turned the bike from a toy to something that can actually climb the mountains around here.
I just have to be aware that I can do 24 mph all day, but 48 mph for only short bursts or the windings will smoke...
Old 5th February 2013, 09:24 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

The Beta 8A is a pretty nice midbass-midrange driver. Depending on how far down that horn can go (3kHz?), I'd drop the Pyles and just use the Beta 8A and horns.

I use the Beta 8A in my Blastoramas (The Subwoofer DIY Page v1.1 - Projects : The Chicken-Run Blastoramas). They can get pretty loud. I'll bet that 15 has a hard time keeping up with them .
Old 5th February 2013, 10:23 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

You're probably right. At first I was using mach5audio mli65's as midbass drivers to compliment the Pyle midranges, but then I swapped those for the beta 8's and used that setup the way it is now. So I figure why not use them if I already have them
Old 5th February 2013, 10:41 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You're probably right. At first I was using mach5audio mli65's as midbass drivers to compliment the Pyle midranges, but then I swapped those for the beta 8's and used that setup the way it is now. So I figure why not use them if I already have them
...because they'll make the box heavier than it needs to be?
Old 5th February 2013, 11:09 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Since you are only drawing around 150watts from the PDX I say you sell me the kappalite and get a driver that can suck some juice from that amp.
Old 5th February 2013, 11:25 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hey I was gunna, but now I found a use for it lol
Old 5th February 2013, 11:34 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hey I was gunna, but now I found a use for it lol
Want to trade for a 15" dvc? I bet it models better than the kappalite in that box

15mm xmax

Hide this!Advertise here!