Sub project for PA - Help needed

Hi Y'all,

Here is the Hornresp for the combination of Bertha horn with Levan extension. The horn path could possibly benefit from a little more detail work, but I don't think it would make a difference in the output. This is for a single JBL 2242H @ ~ Xmax. It's definitely a manly sub.

Regards,

I was going to say, having heard them in full force, the double woofer, 48" high version, with 5000rms each, 4 of them one in each corner of the dance floor, there's no way that's a 50hz sub. These things are absolute MONSTERS!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by weltersys
As a race car builder, you must know that the only replacement for displacement is an increase in RPM

David,

Although an amazing feat, there is still no replacement for displacement.
Top fuel dragsters are getting around 8500 bhp from 8 liters, a slightly better power to displacement ratio- the 1.5 liter would need to do 1594 bhp to equal that.
And the top fuelers rev to around 8250 RPM, probably several thousand below the turbo-charged Formula One engines.
Of course the top fuel engine would not last through a Formula One race...

Art

Top fuel dragsters are forced induction too, Art.

Oliver,

Manly in size, not so manly in output. Can't win 'em all;).
BTY, Short Fuse Lee has left the post to the ones willing to do some comparative work.

Art

You sure art? I'm not talking about the JBL loaded sub, but the output was stunning from these things. Yes I know it is indoors but the output was literally PAINFUL to both my body and head / ears.

The (40) 18" drivers arrayed from a live stage (20 Martin Audio ws218x) couldn't even touch the output of these And yes they were being run all out with Victor Calderone spinning, the sound guy Jason Ojeda confirmed it.

Last edited:
You sure art? I'm not talking about the JBL loaded sub, but the output was stunning from these things. Yes I know it is indoors but the output was literally PAINFUL to both my body and head / ears.
I don't doubt they are loud, I was just comparing Olivers sim of Lee's Berthoid to the Keystone, it is more than twice as big with less output on everything but below 35 Hz.

So was the GMC 671 diesel engine in the bus my dad drove our family around the country in.
That had some heavy parts...

Point being, most knowledgeable car enthusisasts don't go around saying "there's no replacement for displacement", because forced induction is typically regarded by everyone as the replacement for displacement.

weltersys said:
As a race car builder, you must know that the only replacement for displacement is an increase in RPM, not possible in subwoofers.

Point being, most knowledgeable car enthusisasts don't go around saying "there's no replacement for displacement", because forced induction is typically regarded by everyone as the replacement for displacement.
Forced induction is a way to get more power out of an engine, as David McBean said, it's like horn loading.

A larger displacement forced induction engine will have a larger power output, just as a larger displacement loudspeaker will have more SPL output, regardless of the enclosure type.

it's the juice

It's not the only replacement - in the mid-1980's, 1.5 litre displacement turbo-charged Formula One engines were developing up to 1,400 bhp in qualifying mode :).

SNIP...

David
These engines ran on 60% Toluene, 40% Hexane, not petrol or methanol.
The sanctioning body was able to ban them by specifying the types of fuel that could be used.

Dave

I was going to say, having heard them in full force, the double woofer, 48" high version, with 5000rms each, 4 of them one in each corner of the dance floor, there's no way that's a 50hz sub. These things are absolute MONSTERS!
I just stumbled upon this thread as it got revisited, so what make those LEVIN designs so special ??

i mean 5kw to each box and 4 of them mean, 20kw or so for sub duty, so...
what if you throw 20kw to keystones with ipal drivers or 18DS114 , does it make a difference ?

looks like there is people who like the "sound" of a given box and that is tied directly to the psycoacoustics phenomena as every design have a unique sonic fingerprint.

we are habit animals
Humans like patterns and when something makes a lasting impression in our brain we like to repeat over and over to get that source of "gratification"
regardless if it is harmful or otherwise.

but when you get fanatic over a design you loose scientific objectivity thing start to get ugly.

as ccxlr8r said
It's a shame this thread has gotten derailed. The music and audience Lee is catering to LOVE THE SOUND of RLA systems and the Bertha/Levin was the foundation.

I'm still hoping to see what*18" woofer alternatives and enclosure optimizations can do to this box.

I just stumbled upon this thread as it got revisited, so what make those LEVIN designs so special ??
Huge FLH horns can sound great and have high efficiency, so require relatively little power to achieve high output. In the era when the Bertha/Levan cabinets were popular in dance clubs, power cost over 10 times per watt as now, and drivers had little excursion.
i mean 5kw to each box and 4 of them mean, 20kw or so for sub duty, so...
what if you throw 20kw to keystones with ipal drivers or 18DS114 , does it make a difference ?
Loaded with the same drivers, an FLH of twice the volume (around 30 cubic feet per driver compared to 15) of a TH is going to win in pretty much every comparative aspect- louder, more range, better impulse response.

Art

Hey Art,
ic
so ,is there something than can be improved on those Huge FLH horns to squeeze todays drivers to the max
and size will be no constraint having in mind that they will be for permanent installation or forklift/crane moving only

so big FLH's designs generally are louder, more range and better impulse response than TH's
the drawback is the size/weight ?

Last edited: