Sub project for PA - Help needed - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2013, 05:32 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
Hi Y'all,

Here is the Hornresp for the combination of Bertha horn with Levan extension. The horn path could possibly benefit from a little more detail work, but I don't think it would make a difference in the output. This is for a single JBL 2242H @ ~ Xmax. It's definitely a manly sub.

Regards,
I was going to say, having heard them in full force, the double woofer, 48" high version, with 5000rms each, 4 of them one in each corner of the dance floor, there's no way that's a 50hz sub. These things are absolute MONSTERS!

Last edited by m R g S r; 7th February 2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 7th February 2013, 05:33 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Originally Posted by weltersys
As a race car builder, you must know that the only replacement for displacement is an increase in RPM

David,

Although an amazing feat, there is still no replacement for displacement.
Top fuel dragsters are getting around 8500 bhp from 8 liters, a slightly better power to displacement ratio- the 1.5 liter would need to do 1594 bhp to equal that.
And the top fuelers rev to around 8250 RPM, probably several thousand below the turbo-charged Formula One engines.
Of course the top fuel engine would not last through a Formula One race...

Art
Top fuel dragsters are forced induction too, Art.
Old 7th February 2013, 05:42 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Oliver,

Manly in size, not so manly in output. Can't win 'em all.
BTY, Short Fuse Lee has left the post to the ones willing to do some comparative work.

Art
You sure art? I'm not talking about the JBL loaded sub, but the output was stunning from these things. Yes I know it is indoors but the output was literally PAINFUL to both my body and head / ears.

The (40) 18" drivers arrayed from a live stage (20 Martin Audio ws218x) couldn't even touch the output of these And yes they were being run all out with Victor Calderone spinning, the sound guy Jason Ojeda confirmed it.

Last edited by m R g S r; 7th February 2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 7th February 2013, 05:44 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
Top fuel dragsters are forced induction too, Art.
So was the GMC 671 diesel engine in the bus my dad drove our family around the country in.
That had some heavy parts...
Old 7th February 2013, 05:49 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
You sure art? I'm not talking about the JBL loaded sub, but the output was stunning from these things. Yes I know it is indoors but the output was literally PAINFUL to both my body and head / ears.
I don't doubt they are loud, I was just comparing Olivers sim of Lee's Berthoid to the Keystone, it is more than twice as big with less output on everything but below 35 Hz.
Old 7th February 2013, 05:53 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So was the GMC 671 diesel engine in the bus my dad drove our family around the country in.
That had some heavy parts...
Point being, most knowledgeable car enthusisasts don't go around saying "there's no replacement for displacement", because forced induction is typically regarded by everyone as the replacement for displacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys
As a race car builder, you must know that the only replacement for displacement is an increase in RPM, not possible in subwoofers.
Old 7th February 2013, 06:31 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Turbo / blower on top of a big V8 =

Ask SpinMonster. His vette was a beast
Old 7th February 2013, 10:43 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
Point being, most knowledgeable car enthusisasts don't go around saying "there's no replacement for displacement", because forced induction is typically regarded by everyone as the replacement for displacement.
Forced induction is a way to get more power out of an engine, as David McBean said, it's like horn loading.

A larger displacement forced induction engine will have a larger power output, just as a larger displacement loudspeaker will have more SPL output, regardless of the enclosure type.
Old 7th February 2013, 11:02 PM   #49
jacq. is offline jacq.  Canada
diyAudio Member

Lee Interesting reading;

http://www.electrovoice.com/download...s%20v04%20.pdf
Old 8th February 2013, 07:34 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Top fuel dragsters are getting around 8500 bhp from 8 liters, a slightly better power to displacement ratio - the 1.5 liter would need to do 1594 bhp to equal that.
Formula One uses conventional petrol / gasoline. A top fuel dragster uses up to 90% nitromethane / 10% methanol. This at least doubles the power.

Kind regards,

David

Hide this!Advertise here!