Sub project for PA - Help needed - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2013, 09:00 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Two words in favor of the Bertha with JBL 2242 : F3 30Hz ;-) And another few : no need to get 3000w to get there ;-) Also, please let's respect the topic of this thread : JBL 2242 and modifed half Bertha. There's plenty of space on that forum to discuss other topics. TIA ;-)
Old 6th February 2013, 09:12 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
Two words in favor of the Bertha with JBL 2242 : F3 30Hz ;-) And another few : no need to get 3000w to get there ;-) Also, please let's respect the topic of this thread : JBL 2242 and modifed half Bertha. There's plenty of space on that forum to discuss other topics. TIA ;-)
Lee,

OK, respecting the topic of the thread, why would you favor a cabinet design and driver after seeing it sims so poorly compared to other designs?
Old 6th February 2013, 10:00 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Please. Read post #31. I'd hate to see that thread turned into my religion is better than yours. We all know how it ends.
Old 6th February 2013, 10:11 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
Please. Read post #31. I'd hate to see that thread turned into my religion is better than yours. We all know how it ends.
I have no sub "religion", I simply prefer subs that are the best fit for the intended use.
Care to answer my question posted in #31?
Old 6th February 2013, 10:15 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone for having contributed. That will be my last post on this forum. I have a very short fuse when it comes to people thrashing threads and having difficulties reading simple text. @ Art. You definitely are something. ;-(
Old 7th February 2013, 01:50 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

See ya, short fuse Lee ;^).
Old 7th February 2013, 06:06 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
As a race car builder, you must know that the only replacement for displacement is an increase in RPM
It's not the only replacement - in the mid-1980's, 1.5 litre displacement turbo-charged Formula One engines were developing up to 1,400 bhp in qualifying mode :-).

A bit like horn loading a loudspeaker...

Kind regards,

David
Old 7th February 2013, 05:32 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Originally Posted by weltersys
As a race car builder, you must know that the only replacement for displacement is an increase in RPM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
It's not the only replacement - in the mid-1980's, 1.5 litre displacement turbo-charged Formula One engines were developing up to 1,400 bhp in qualifying mode :-).

A bit like horn loading a loudspeaker...
David,

Although an amazing feat, there is still no replacement for displacement.
Top fuel dragsters are getting around 8500 bhp from 8 liters, a slightly better power to displacement ratio- the 1.5 liter would need to do 1594 bhp to equal that.
And the top fuelers rev to around 8250 RPM, probably several thousand below the turbo-charged Formula One engines.
Of course the top fuel engine would not last through a Formula One race...

Art
Old 7th February 2013, 06:14 PM   #39
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Y'all,

Here is the Hornresp for the combination of Bertha horn with Levan extension. The horn path could possibly benefit from a little more detail work, but I don't think it would make a difference in the output. This is for a single JBL 2242H @ ~ Xmax. It's definitely a manly sub.

Regards,
Old 7th February 2013, 06:22 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
This is for a single JBL 2242H @ ~ Xmax. It's definitely a manly sub.
Oliver,

Manly in size, not so manly in output. Can't win 'em all.
BTY, Short Fuse Lee has left the post to the ones willing to do some comparative work.

Art

Hide this!Advertise here!