Alternatives for VIFA M26 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bought a DIY sub with two of the Vifa M26W R0908 and noticed one is out so am looking to replace at least one.

Anyone can give me a pointer to alternative drivers, best, drop in replacement as I don't like to fiddle with the enclosure.

Of course, if someone has one or more unused, just PM me what you would like for them

Thanks!

There is no exact replacement for this Viva except another exact model. Chances are the Individual who created this, in true DIY fashion, has crunched numbers endlessly creating that subwoofer. Any other driver used to replace it will foul up all those careful calculations.

______________________________________________________Rick..........

Richard,

thanks for the quick reply. In lieu of sending the driver unit to a driver repair shop to have the voice coil rewound which is reseanably expensive, are there second best choices out there?

As you know, the Vifa M26 rarely show up for sale. hence my original post.

Charles

Bought a DIY sub with two of the Vifa M26W R0908 and noticed one is out so am looking to replace at least one.

Anyone can give me a pointer to alternative drivers, best, drop in replacement as I don't like to fiddle with the enclosure.

Of course, if someone has one or more unused, just PM me what you would like for them

Thanks!

Why not search for a similar driver? Look for hints here:

b:)

Attachments

• 2x Vifa_M26WR-09-08-in-an-Opt-BR.jpg
    2x Vifa_M26WR-09-08-in-an-Opt-BR.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 159
polyglot,
Kind of funny to give a definitive answer to a question when you are not giving almost any details...
I would like to know the type of sub you have, do you have a picture?, it's diy but is it passive or active, does it have a pass-band or any kind of crossover?!
Please state the size/interior volume of your speaker, for each driver. (Dual drivers - mention the total volume with two drivers or xx volume for each driver x2). Plus tunned frequency if a BR or the size or port/tube, interior dimensions like the diam/length.
For that type of woofer you can look at other European models like Visaton or Audiotech, Volt or Monacor, sure they are more expensive. In your country look at,
HiVi F10 10" Woofer 297-450
Vifa NE265W-08 10" Subwoofer Speaker 264-1140

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Original datasheet is available on Parts Express (funny because it never used to come up in searches) http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/297-315b.pdf It's a much better quality scan than the one I had before.

It should be possible to find something that has similar T/S params, as long as the QTS is similar then box tuning should also be similar, however things like voice coil inductance could affect the upper frequencies more.

What frequency is covered by the original drivers? If they are purely subs doing 80Hz and lower it is probably less of an issue, but if they are being crossed over in the 200 - 300Hz range (which they should be good for) then finding a drop in replacement will be more problematic I would think, as I suspect differences in cone material will start being more obvious at the higher frequencies (resulting in possible noticeable differences between left and right if these are to be stereo subs).

Have you checked that it isn't something as simple as the tinsel leads being broken? They must have undergone some abuse if the voice coil has been fried!!

Tony.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.