Dayton Port Length

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Dayton RSS315HO-4 12" in a two cubic feet ported box with an OAudio 500 watt amp. What would be the correct port length for this box using a 4" diameter port? This sub will be used for movies and music.
Thanks, Sam
Your question is impossible to answer.

It is equivalent to asking "How long will it take me to paint and wallpaper my bedroom (I'm using blue paint.)" without giving the size of the room and a description of all the trim work.

Hint: you need to specify the desired tuning frequency.

I have a Dayton RSS315HO-4 12" in a two cubic feet ported box with an OAudio 500 watt amp. What would be the correct port length for this box using a 4" diameter port? This sub will be used for movies and music.
Thanks, Sam

Hi Sam,

For a flattest pass-band FR response:
You may even choose a longer port length at a cost of a shelving slope...

b:)

Attachments

• Dayton-RSS315HO-4_2cu-ft_port-calc.JPG
    Dayton-RSS315HO-4_2cu-ft_port-calc.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 83
Thanks, I really appreciate it. A tech at PartsExpress recommended a 4" diameter, 22.75" in length port with my box which I duly installed. I've got a lot of low bass and not much else. How do I factor in the end correction factor when I'm measuring for the overall port length down the middle of the tubing from the outside edge of each of the flares?
Thanks, Sam

Thanks, I really appreciate it. A tech at PartsExpress recommended a 4" diameter, 22.75" in length port with my box which I duly installed. I've got a lot of low bass and not much else. How do I factor in the end correction factor when I'm measuring for the overall port length down the middle of the tubing from the outside edge of each of the flares?
Thanks, Sam

Hi Sam,

Maybe the info in this pdf will help you:

http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20130202/11094.pdf

In case: Even a simple picture might be of use too:

b:)

Attachments

• effective Port length.JPG
    effective Port length.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 3,520
Bjorno,
I reconfigured the port length using the specs you passed on to me and the sub sounds and responds much better now. Thank you so much for your help. It no longer sounds as if it were being flipped on and off with a switch. It's now very tight and smooth and has a much broader range.
Thanks again, Sam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.