Use Delay to cancel room mode @ 25hz??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2013, 06:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Use Delay to cancel room mode @ 25hz???

I have multiple Subwoofers and I was wondering if I could use a delay to cancel a room mode @ 25hz? I am still trying to understand about phase, polarity etc, but I am still coming to grips with all the technical terms.

So Could someone help me understand this and how much delay would I need to achieve this?

And forgive my ignorance, I am doing my best to learn what I can.

Cheers Dave
Old 30th January 2013, 08:58 AM   #2
DAMIC is offline DAMIC  Seychelles
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I don't beleive you will cancel the room mode with delay. Btw, I also have multi subs (4) and use a couple parametric eq functions from electronic dsp x-o, for reducing the room modes.

It seems, you have a realy big room.

rgds,
Old 30th January 2013, 09:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The room is not that big. Approx 3500cf, but it is solid concrete. This is the waterfall and you can see the decay @ 25 hz is really bad. I was led to believe that changing the phase would cancel out a certain frequency? Or is delay and phase different altogether?

Click the image to open in full size.

Cheers Dave
Old 30th January 2013, 03:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post
The room is not that big. Approx 3500cf, but it is solid concrete. This is the waterfall and you can see the decay @ 25 hz is really bad. I was led to believe that changing the phase would cancel out a certain frequency? Or is delay and phase different altogether?
Dave,

Delay and phase are two different things.

A 25 Hz cycle is twice as long as 50 Hz, it's decay will show up as twice as long on a waterfall even without figuring room reverb.

Using two LF sources, one delayed, you could cancel certain frequencies in certain places, while increasing their amplitude in others. Not a good idea.
Old 31st January 2013, 01:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. So how do you change the phase of a speaker to help cancel out a problem frequency?
Old 31st January 2013, 02:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post
Thanks for the info. So how do you change the phase of a speaker to help cancel out a problem frequency?
If the "problem frequency" is at the crossover point, delaying the upper or lower band (usually upper) may be required to get a smooth phase response through the crossover region.

Generally parametric or graphic EQ are used to reduce or boost amplitude at problem frequencies within the pass band of the speaker.
The correct application of EQ also smooths the phase response as the frequency response is flattened.

EQ won't correct room problems, but will make them more tolerable.
Old 31st January 2013, 11:27 PM   #7
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

You use delay to reduce the differences in position between sub and main to help the crossover range integration. Bass traps, as in real ones, not a block of foam in the corner, can do wonders. Moving them around can help. If your peak is that low, I would try and reduce the sub output by playing with the alignment a bit. Make sure you don't have it in the corner. Center between the mains is easiest to integrate. Then try some eq. My personal taste has them roll off in that range. Just no music down there. killing a peak is pretty easy to do with eq. Trying to boost dips is where subs get into trouble.
Old 1st February 2013, 09:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

A recent SMWTMS club meeting video:

Earl Geddes on Multiple Subwoofers in Rooms

Earl Geddes on Multiple Subwoofers in Rooms, smwtms Captured on Ustream:Earl Geddes on Multiple Subwoofers in Small Rooms, plus a CES Report, and New Faces...
Old 1st February 2013, 09:37 PM   #9
tsiros is offline tsiros  Greece
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tsiros Send a message via Skype™ to tsiros
This is odd.

First, response is flat down to 10 Hz. Second, i don't see any other resonances. Is your room completely cubic, 3 m * 3 m * 3m ?
Old 1st February 2013, 11:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
Is that link supposed to be a joke? You can't hear what they guy is saying because of the organ music.

Hide this!Advertise here!