Anyone have experience with TL-Sub30? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2013, 03:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone have experience with TL-Sub30?

I'm trying to design and build a corner sub. I have another thread considering PPSL but there seem to be too many pitfalls. I like transmission line having built several IMF designs back in the early eighties.

In my googling I ran across this design from German Visaton and looking for more information.

Specifically, what is going on in the exploded view? It looks like the TL exhausts out the top but there are two things that bother me. The bottom driver has a considerably shorter path than the top driver with folded line. Also it doesn't appear the lines have smaller volume as they approach the opening.

Anybody have any ideas how to keep the cabinet and re-design so it's true TL?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tl_sub30.jpg (14.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: png tl_sub30_tz.png (100.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: png sub30-exploded.png (91.0 KB, 92 views)
Old 25th January 2013, 08:54 PM   #2
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac00 View Post
I'm trying to design and build a corner sub. I have another thread considering PPSL but there seem to be too many pitfalls. I like transmission line having built several IMF designs back in the early eighties.

In my googling I ran across this design from German Visaton and looking for more information.

Specifically, what is going on in the exploded view? It looks like the TL exhausts out the top but there are two things that bother me. The bottom driver has a considerably shorter path than the top driver with folded line. Also it doesn't appear the lines have smaller volume as they approach the opening.

Anybody have any ideas how to keep the cabinet and re-design so it's true TL?
This cabinet is relying on Quarter-Wave design principles but IMO wasting unnecessarily a large volume for the performance.. Compare the net box volume and BW with a OD_T-TQWT....

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TIW 300 - 8 Ohm.JPG (725.3 KB, 88 views)
Old 28th January 2013, 12:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

We love symmetry but the result in a dual driver TL is not what we want to hear. I view this kind of layout as a variation on the offset of a single driver in order to break up higher order harmonics. It's working for me.

Hide this!Advertise here!