Tony Gee did it, it's on Data-bass...should I do it? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2013, 10:46 PM   #21
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
Once the box gets small enough, the tapped horn will have the same sensitivity and frequency response as a ported design of the same size. Always model your driver from a tapped horn design in a ported design of the same volume.

As tapped horns get larger they can trade low frequency extension for sensitivity and output while maintaining a relatively flat frequency response.

Whereas ported designs mostly improve their low frequency extension (a bandwidth increase), and drop in sensitivity.
I totally agree with you, but I will add that even in a small tapped horn that ends up with the sensitivity of a standard ported box, you can still get two, if not three excursion minimums within the passband of the tapped horn, that you can't get in a standard ported box no matter what.
Old 27th January 2013, 08:43 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
Once the box gets small enough, the tapped horn will have the same sensitivity and frequency response as a ported design of the same size.
I have made a fairly small TH and it showed a minimum gain of two of mouth excursion vs driver excursion through the entire passband, the mouth was the same size as the driver.
A ported box can not do that.
Old 27th January 2013, 09:42 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Web View Post
I have made a fairly small TH and it showed a minimum gain of two of mouth excursion vs driver excursion through the entire passband, the mouth was the same size as the driver.
A ported box can not do that.
David,

A ported box can not do what?
What do you mean by "mouth excursion"?
What do you mean by "a minimum gain of two"?
Old 28th January 2013, 11:17 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

A ported cab can not increase it's apparent output at high frequency as you only have a direct radiator. Only at the low corner does the port increase output.

Mouth excursion is the movement of air in and out of the mouth just as if it was a direct radiator doing the same work with the same area.

TH_exc.PNG

As can be seen a small movement of the cone results in a larger movement at the mouth. Mouth area is the same as Sd and you could imagine a driver in a sealed box with the same excursion as the mouth.
You can see this increase of air movement as gain.
Only way below tuning does the TH stop increase output making a sealed box a better alternative below 26Hz.

A minimum gain of two means that for every movement the cone does the mouth does at least the double.

Hide this!Advertise here!