New enclosure design for Ciare 12.00SW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a while now, and I have to say; what a wonderful forum! Thanks to everyone for all the knowledge I gained so-far. Really cool that you share so many interesting things for free.

Brief introduction: my name is Teun and I live in the Netherlands (well that was quite briefly indeed, wasn’t it).Oh, btw, I want to say sorry in advance for my deficient English. Grammar whiners are welcome in this thread, I'm eager to learn.

But now on topic, the reason I made this first topic is that I want to make a new subwoofer and I’m looking for a suitable plan (bet you never heard that question before here).
A short while ago I purchased a Ciare 12.00SW (single, one only, the most recent version in 8 ohm) and I would like to settle it in a proper enclosure. The Ciare has never been my first choice, it always reminds me of crappy car-audio woofers with giant Xmax and low sensitivity (and crappy sound quality). But this was a real bargain and I just couldn’t resist buying it.

In addition, this woofer already proved itself. So now I want to do something fun with it!
The sub will be the low-freq support for a pair of Turbosound TXD-081’s (very nice speakers, nothing to do with ‘the real Turbosound’ but nevertheless excellent sound).

Amplification will be coming from one channel of a Lab.Gruppen LAB 1000. I know, not quite sufficient for this 11 kg beast, but amp power is the next investment to come (so no worries about that).

DSP will be done by a lovely XTA DP200.When it comes to the ‘application’: it will be mostly used in small rooms. And it will be listened to about 4 hours per day. I’m passionate about sound (or should I say; music?).

Outdoor parties maybe one- or two times a year. And when it comes to expectations: 50 people should be satisfied when they hear this sub indoors.

So, plans! The parameters of the Ciare quite restrict the number of potential candidates, if I’m correct. In an ideal situation the sub will have:1. Frequency response from app. 35 Hz to app. 100 Hz2. Max 100 cm in length, max 60 cm in width and max 75 cm in depth. It would be nice if I could lift it on my own, so if I can ‘put my arms around it’ max 50-60 kg.3. Plenty of SPL to keep up with my Turbo’s and sufficient for a party of 50 people. If this is impossible, I can live with a relatively low SPL. Because in that case I’ll built a second one in the future.Regarding priorities I use the same order as above. I am familiar with Hoffman's Iron Law,haha!Am I being realistic? Or are there concessions to make?

Known plans for this woofer are the Punisher and Stepped horn. Both aren’t the best choice for my situation: the Punisher lacks in sub-low as a single enclosure and the Stepped horn is the opposite of that; very sub-minded (it will rattle the shite out of my neighbours’ house) but not ‘musical’. And not to mention the impractical dimensions.So, the demanding nag that I am: WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR? Maybe something like a tapped horn specifically designed for this woofer? I am VERY impressed by Tapped horn designs like the Othorn.The perfect candidate could be a Othorn scaled down and customised to my Ciare?

Or the other way around; an up scaled tham12, mth-30 or TH-mini (deep respect for mr. Tom Danley, a true genius in speaker design)?

Or something totally different, like a up scaled-, single version of a Funktion One MB212 (mr. Tony Andrews is just as awesome)?Sadly I’m not capable in understanding software like Hornresp (I tried it, I failed big time). But in return I am willing to pay an appropriate amount of money to the hero that designs my perfect enclosure.:)

Thanks in advance for your reply,
Best regards,
Teun (4AC)

Last edited:
Teun, can you edit your text for standard size it's difficult to read, thanks.
2. Max 100 cm in length, max 60 cm in width and max 75 cm in depth. It would be nice if I could lift it on my own, so if I can ‘put my arms around it’ max 50-60 kg.
That's a nice size for transport (max. 60cm in width) that you can pass doors (~70cm) and grab the finished speaker box with both hands.

Or the other way around; an up scaled tham12, mth-30 or TH-mini (deep respect for mr. Tom Danley, a true genius in speaker design)?
If you had been here time enough in this forum, you should know that T. Danley comes here many times and he is the right guy you should address your question.

Last edited:
So, plans! The parameters of the Ciare quite restrict the number of potential candidates, if I’m correct. In an ideal situation the sub will have:1. Frequency response from app. 35 Hz to app. 100 Hz2. Max 100 cm in length, max 60 cm in width and max 75 cm in depth. It would be nice if I could lift it on my own, so if I can ‘put my arms around it’ max 50-60 kg.3. Plenty of SPL to keep up with my Turbo’s and sufficient for a party of 50 people. If this is impossible, I can live with a relatively low SPL. Because in that case I’ll built a second one in the future.Regarding priorities I use the same order as above. I am familiar with Hoffman's Iron Law,haha!Am I being realistic? Or are there concessions to make?

Known plans for this woofer are the Punisher and Stepped horn. Both aren’t the best choice for my situation: the Punisher lacks in sub-low as a single enclosure and the Stepped horn is the opposite of that; very sub-minded (it will rattle the shite out of my neighbours’ house) but not ‘musical’. And not to mention the impractical dimensions.So, the demanding nag that I am: WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR? Maybe something like a tapped horn specifically designed for this woofer? I am VERY impressed by Tapped horn designs like the Othorn.The perfect candidate could be a Othorn scaled down and customised to my Ciare?

Thanks in advance for your reply,
Best regards,
Teun (4AC)
Teun,
Turbodawgs suggestion in #8 looks good, but is taller than you want.
You could cut my Keystone design approximately in half and get what you want in FR, but it still is taller than you desire.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.