energy exl-s8 amp to drive 10" sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 2 energy exl-s8 subs I picked up for 30$ a pice. they sound good but I would like to try my hand at building a sub (this is my firs project) and this seems like a affordable amp to use. i am just wondering if it is enough do drive a 10" or if I would just be waisting time and money. also any recommended drivers. i am thinking of a folded horn, but any advice would be great.

Hi,

For a sub the amplifier power has little to do with the driver size,
and conversely you can find drivers of a wide range of size suited
to the same amplifier power, in this case apparently 100W.

$30 a pop seems very cheap (given retail of $300) and certainly
is for a 100W sub amplifier, but beware of any inbuilt EQ and
excursion protection circuitry that may not suit another driver.

TBH with decent stereo subs upgrading your main small
speakers is probably the much more rewarding way to go.

rgds, sreten.

thanks

hay thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I am looking at this as a project to build with my father, for his home so I have been trying to figure out what he wants. I was wondering if anyone had an idea for some 10" or 12" sub drivers that might work well for under 100$ the box will probably be a smaller design then the horn i would like to build probably 2' cube. max or a little taller one direction. the sub is for a living room to accent some TriTrix MTM TL speakers. so I dont need the ground braking bass just something nice for tv or movies that my mom wont hate. or should i just stick with the 8" i have now. thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.