Peerless india SKO204 8" woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I am planning some to build 4 subwoofers for my living room mostly for music to help my mission bookshelf spakers with the low frequensies.

My room is 45m2 I dont play very loud.

Willys hifi on Ebay Peerless SKO204 8 inch hifi bass woofers speakers | eBay

Would 4 of these cheap drivers work as sub woofers?

In a vented 65liters box per driver they will go pretty low.

Is it a waist of money and if so why.

Regards Fredrik

Hmmm...of course those speakers have the diameter to display
much volume of air, specially if there are as many as 4.
BUT
major thing to care about a sub is how those speakers manage the heat?
It's just because there's the intention to use a sub, that someone must
ask : how much power? for how long ? If there's a limited number of peaks,
most speakers can cope with it and may take their time to settle the
temperature, otherwise if they cannot cope with it - extreme usage to the limit-
they'll distort and presumably burn ( but it's useful to detect distortion before burn happens ! )their voice coil . Also the material of the voice coil is important. So the voice coile diameter , which somehow is indicative of good thermal behavior .
SO
Strictly talking about the Peerless product, which I don't know precisely but
it is similar to other speakers with big membrane and little magnet, it will
likely reproduce low bass but for very limited time, as it is not projected
to do sub duties .

Hi,

Great driver! IMO:Enough loud for a smaller room when focusing music use.

b:)

Attachments

• Peerless-SK0204.JPG
    Peerless-SK0204.JPG
    561.1 KB · Views: 445
  • Peerless-SK0204_BR_OD_ML-TL.JPG
    Peerless-SK0204_BR_OD_ML-TL.JPG
    389.4 KB · Views: 412
Hi,

Great value driver, I've recommended the 2 way kit before for
a a pair of large 2-ways, but 4 2.3 cuft internal cabinets for
subwoofery with 8"ers isn't what they are good at.

With 40Hz Fs you ain't going to get very low for all that
cabinet volume, they will however be very efficient, why
the large 2-way is good for valve amplifiers and the like.

Unfortunately good cheap drivers to go low properly are
very hard to find and 45m squared seems a pretty big room,
which will take some driving, though your long main mode
should be pretty low. meaning low bass is on the cards.

This is an excellent driver :
Eminence LAB-12 400W / 800W 12" 6 Ohm Subwoofer Driver | eBay

100L tuned to 20Hz will do the business, see :
Monolith+ DF+ and FF+
and
http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/Monolith Review.pdf

rgds, sreten.

...With 40Hz Fs you ain't going to get very low for all that
cabinet volume...

I thought Mick Jagger was the only Brit that used "ain't."

Anyway, OP said he wants to build 4 subs, is that correct? Are you going for the multi sub room smoothing concept or did I get that wrong?

I sold a a large sub back in the 70s that used eight 8 inch Polydax bextrine woofers in a vented coffin sized cabinet that could move some serious air down low. That's back when the concept of "fast bass" was popular. I used the sand and epoxy trick to bring the Fs down a few Hz.

So in other words this could work fine?

I did some simulations in WinISD and hornresp and the kurves looked nice but I thougt "Whats the catch". You know I am pretty new to this.:)

Is it not so that many subs is easier to integrate with the bookshelves than just one.

Fredrik

So in other words this could work fine?

I did some simulations in WinISD and hornresp and the kurves looked nice but I thougt "Whats the catch". You know I am pretty new to this.:)

Is it not so that many subs is easier to integrate with the bookshelves than just one.

Fredrik

Hi Fredrik,

Work fine'? IME, I believe you will be surprised of the very good SQ that comes when choosing T-QWP: s or T-TQWT: s...
..and 'No catch' as far as I can see other than the possibility to IMO preferably pick a single folded design (not the simpler BR 100mm(~98.4) diameter port/21(20) cm length)...if.... your 'Mission Bookshelf Speakers' have an f-3dB of 52..57Hz but if around 75Hz:

I would not hesitate to choose a cabinet with more than one bend (more extended upper end BW) or the mentioned simpler BR. An example of a single fold using the Peerless SKO204 driver(s):

.. If I were you I would invest in more than 4 drivers: One or two flanking(lateral placed) smaller BR boxes would be a good idea to include besides one or two main sub(s) using 2-driver cabinet(s)..

b:)

PS: You may dig into this thread concerning single folded T-TQWT: s. Copy and scale the dimensioning if you choose to make a couple of these.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/188283-fiddling-hornresp-peerless-831759-a.html

Attachments

• Peerless-SK0204_70L_Single-folded_T-TQWT.JPG
    Peerless-SK0204_70L_Single-folded_T-TQWT.JPG
    403.8 KB · Views: 341
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.