$500 DIY Subwoofer Challenge! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2013, 11:40 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I think you need to define more parameters for this "challenge":

1. Maximum size allowed.
2. Minimum predicted linear output within the passband
3. Maximum predicted passband lower F3
4. Minimum predicted passband upper F3
Old 11th January 2013, 11:48 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
Since cheating is OK, stealing must be too: Mine is also in a 4 cu ft box:

Infinity 1260 12" woofer $59
Acoustic Elegance PR-15 700 $60
Behringer NU1000DSP $258
3/4" birch 5-ply sheet $45
Drywall screws $6
Wood glue $6
Paint $5
Roofing mastic $10
Speakon connectors qty 2 $10
10 ft speaker cable $8
RCA to TS adapter $2
--------------------------------
$469!
Hehe - I'd swap that Infinity driver out for the Dayton DVC310-88 and use a shelf vent instead of the PR to save that extra $60. The DVC310 can move some serious air (I used to own the Shiva Mk1 on which it is based) and it will utterly spank that 1260 if given the chance (the suspension on those Infinities starts applying the brakes well before you think they should - probably to protect those drivers from overzealous car audio boomers - not so with the DVC310!).
Old 12th January 2013, 03:58 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
Hehe - I'd swap that Infinity driver out for the Dayton DVC310-88 and use a shelf vent instead of the PR to save that extra $60. The DVC310 can move some serious air (I used to own the Shiva Mk1 on which it is based) and it will utterly spank that 1260 if given the chance (the suspension on those Infinities starts applying the brakes well before you think they should - probably to protect those drivers from overzealous car audio boomers - not so with the DVC310!).
Sounds good, that takes the price up to $473.85.
Old 12th January 2013, 04:41 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I'm pretty sure my build on the Dayton ref 18" sealed sub, with mini dsp and a 1500 watt qsc amp was right around $500.
Old 13th January 2013, 08:45 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
I'm pretty sure my build on the Dayton ref 18" sealed sub, with mini dsp and a 1500 watt qsc amp was right around $500.
The Dayton RSS460HO-4 18" Reference driver (out of stock, due 1/15/13) is listed for $249.76 at Parts Express.

A QSC MX1500 goes for about $295.00, it would appear that combo alone would cost over $500 before adding a MiniDSP and the DIY part, a cabinet.
Old 13th January 2013, 10:45 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yeah I know

I said my build lol I got the amp for $100 and replaced the scratchy pots with new parts from QSC for $20 and the two sheets of Baltic for $56 each then the mini DSP for $125 to EQ flat down to right around 20hz.

So for HT I think the $600 (500 is close enough ) challenge is pretty spot on in my case ! I'm sure as hell enjoying it
Old 14th January 2013, 12:38 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
Yeah I know

I said my build lol I got the amp for $100 and replaced the scratchy pots with new parts from QSC for $20 and the two sheets of Baltic for $56 each then the mini DSP for $125 to EQ flat down to right around 20hz.

So for HT I think the $600 (500 is close enough ) challenge is pretty spot on in my case ! I'm sure as hell enjoying it
Well, if you want to talk actual costs, I just put together a nice sub using an old B&W 801 bass cabinet and a Craig's List car woofer (MB Quart PWH302) for a total cost of...$75. I plan on adding a granite top, but I bet I still come in under $100.
Old 16th January 2013, 03:14 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

How are you going to determine the winner?

Flattest frequency response?

Average SPL over frequency ? (10hz - 80hz)

Lowest distortion?
Old 16th January 2013, 03:52 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasamiller View Post
How are you going to determine the winner?

Flattest frequency response?

Average SPL over frequency ? (10hz - 80hz)

Lowest distortion?
I've added the following to the first post:

Quote:
Since this a practical challenge, the winner will be the best all around design - considering performance, practicality, and form. There are no specific perfomance criteria except it must provide impressive, accurate bass for ht and music in a normal sized living room. This should be a project that a novice DIY'er should be able to build with a high degree of confidence that it will work well and look good.
Say that your friend, Normal Guy Joe, wants you to build him a sub o use in his family room. You will have to decide where practicality trades off with performance......
Old 16th January 2013, 06:09 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
I've added the following to the first post:

There are no specific perfomance criteria except it must provide impressive, accurate bass for ht and music in a normal sized living room.

Say that your friend, Normal Guy Joe, wants you to build him a sub o use in his family room. You will have to decide where practicality trades off with performance......
Turbodawg,
"Impressive" is a useless metric for describing a sub.
"Accurate" is hearsay without frequency response (and some would argue, distortion) measurements.
"Practicality" is meaningless without some size limit.

My home theater uses a pair of Pioneer 12" woofers (under $50 used) in a 28" x 20" x 19" sealed enclosure made from a 2" thick particle board door found in an alley.
My girlfriend and I have often been "impressed" by LF sound effects in movies that the sub does, yet it is only capable of around 105 dB before distortion is objectionable.

The Tub Sub in post #8 can do 114 dB at 40 Hz using only 15 watts or so with distortion under 10%.
If 105 dB is "impressive", is 114 dB "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" ?

Seriously, put in a "X dB at X frequency, or this thread is useless- otherwise the next post could be a speaker mounted on an open baffle that is actually capable of only an "impressive" 75 dB at 40 Hz .

Art

Last edited by weltersys; 16th January 2013 at 06:15 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!