jbl 2205a cracks in sorround flappy drivers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2013, 05:47 AM   #11
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow. Please use a period here and there. There's lots of helpful people here to help, and I think the least you could do is use some punctuation instead of one big run-on sentence in each post. It makes it very hard to read. Remember, the way you hear it your mind or the way you would say it to someone, is not the way it comes out in text.

Many reconing shops stock latex glue for attaching surrounds and doping/treating cloth surrounds. Pretty sure it would be similar to using the suggested thinned-out weldbond
Old 12th January 2013, 08:04 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

so far guys the bits with the bits of test paper...im going go with the weldbond to suit these because its holding up better more riggid and not creasing as much as the stuff i mentioned even the thinner coats show positive signs and tighten em up a bit ,hopefully i get a good few more years outa mine too cheers djk
Old 12th January 2013, 08:15 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

sory bout puctuation fellas, i missed alot of schooling to become an anarchist!!! but then i got board and back into learning again "wink" but hopfully every one gets the facts !!! . "something else i gota work on" thxs people
Old 12th January 2013, 07:47 PM   #14
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Testing before the main event is a good idea.

Weldbond is available in Canada, USA, and Austrailia. I've found similar products in the USA, I'm sure there are many around the world.
Old 13th January 2013, 04:11 PM   #15
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

I suggested "flowable Silicone Rubber". Very different viscosity than the caulk that comes in a tube. It will make a heavier and thicker layer than the typical "dopes" that are intended for surrounds. I don't know what its life will be in this application though. Only recently I applied some to very brittle foam surrounds to good effect. It saved them. But this was for a very low frequency driver, so added mass on this surround was not an issue at all. This stuff can be applied with a brush, it is more or less self leveling. Put it on, leave it, don't brush it about very much.

In the proper application it's very useful.
Old 13th January 2013, 04:32 PM   #16
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

I have access to a wide variety of Silicones at work, and I cannot recommend any of them over the PVA.

Thinned out PVA seems to be the best solution for foam, I have used three different brands and achieved the same results.

Have you found anything that will rejuvenate natural rubber that has cracked?

The Norelco AD5060W8 was used in so many speakers; Dahlquist, Genesis, Infinity, etc.
Old 14th January 2013, 12:08 AM   #17
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Nothing I know of will fix old dried out rubber.

I seem to recall that someone posted something about a means of rejuvenating rubber surrounds, but I have no recollection of which thread that was mentioned.

_-_-bear

Hide this!Advertise here!