pro driver sound with only 15 watts? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2013, 05:24 PM   #31
panduro is offline panduro  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Bitsmasher,

that would make it a high power sub with an monstros 25watt amp.
with that little power, even 5watt extra should to make a differens.

i could do 2 drivers, as long as they will fit on a panel this size hXwXd 62x62x32cm.

best regards

panduro
Old 14th January 2013, 07:56 PM   #32
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panduro View Post
Beyma power 12 freq looks very good. 102db 25W/4ohm f3 27hz with a very nice curve. But must admit that i have never heard a nice sounding heavy coned car driver that sounded very good without a **** load of power stuffed up its erhhhmm terminals .
It's a vicious circle that is a direct result of Hoffman's Iron Law. This is where a fundamental understanding of inter-related T/S parameters truly does help.

many heavy coned car driver's have a very stiff suspension. This directly affects the required (small) enclosure size to attain an achieveable frequency response curve. But too stiff and the free air resonance goes too high (Fs). The only way to bring it back down is with: mass. ...and then the low Vas (due to the low compliance (stiff suspension) due to the small-box requirements of most car drivers) directly affects efficiency, and thus power sensitivity. All other things equal, the less compliant a speaker is, the lower the efficiency---so then what counteracts low efficiency: a lot of (cheap) power stuffed up it's terminals. No way around Hoffman's iron law.

Since you don't have a lot of power (15W), and you want it to play decently low, you absolutely must give up the idea of a (relatively) small enclosure for a particular driver IF you want to exploit it's "reference" sensitivity. Starting out with lots of cone surface area will only benefit you if you build the enclosure to suit. Otherwise you may as well start out with less surface area in order to exploit the sensitivity of a smaller diameter driver.

Stuffing two (large) driver's in your required dimensions will not do anything for sensitivity because you will likely be crippling each one due to the lack of enclosure volume airspace. Obviously if they are a smaller pair of drivers that can use your given airspace, you can exploit their sensitivity, but albeit at a lower starting point. In the end you end up with the same darn thing. It's mother nature's way of telling you "there is no free lunch".

Just another two cents...

Last edited by OscarS; 14th January 2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 14th January 2013, 10:01 PM   #33
CCU is offline CCU  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to CCU
If you want to try out the Fane 15-600lf in real life. i have 4 of them that i'm not using currently.
Old 15th January 2013, 07:36 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Have you been using them OB ? (Nice for a BR/VB = 213 L)
Old 15th January 2013, 03:35 PM   #35
CCU is offline CCU  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to CCU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
Have you been using them OB ? (Nice for a BR/VB = 213 L)
I you meant what I am using the driver for... I'm using them for multiple things.
Experimenting with OB and in the summer i'm using them in backloaded horns for my outdoor/festival speaker system
Old 16th January 2013, 01:03 PM   #36
panduro is offline panduro  Denmark
diyAudio Member

thanks for all the answers,

keep the 2 cents advice coming as im saving for a full dollar

that was a good explanation, even i got that

hmm think im make the sub with a jbl le120h1 from my ht. figured out that i can do a 120L enclosure, which means i can get it flat to just below 30 with god sensitivity.
wheather or not i go with the 15w or decide to go with a bit more still remain to be seen.

Hi CCU, thanks for the generous offer, but it seems that it needs a very large enclosure to get the desired curve.

but itd love to come by to check out your system- ill bring the beer

best regards

panduro
Old 18th January 2013, 08:43 PM   #37
SpirosZ is offline SpirosZ  Greece
diyAudio Member

You can use two 4ohm drivers in a push pull configuration and cut box vol in half.
Old 16th February 2013, 02:26 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/CW258ND.PDF has a 21L vas...try simulations...Or a http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/PW258ND.PDF if you prefer 8ohm...?
Old 16th February 2013, 07:23 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
26 liters tapped horn...1x10". 30-180hz @ 100db back to a wall @12w 4ohm...Need a high pass @ 35 hz. So no prob with the 30hz spike...can/need to be adjusted more fine. It's just to show. 19 ms group delay @ 30hz... 3mm cone displacement...far from the 9mm xmax... it go to 180 hz so it can be well crossed...the speaker curves seems good. Seems interesting ??

Hide this!Advertise here!