Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2013, 01:13 PM   #21
panduro is offline panduro  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I know its overkill, but the sims was very good, well until i found out that the specs in winisd was either from an old model or just faulty. the sim of the current/right specd 15xb wasnt very good in an enclosure that size.

i did sim the fane 400lf and the fane pro 15-500, both need larger enclosure.
sim of the new fane 15xb is no better im afraid. none of them will give me the extension i want in an enclosure that size.

I cant do a cab any larger than 90L when driver/bracing and ports volume is deducted.
im not really worried about power handling as i only need about 100db/1m output from it with a 15watt amplifier...

with only 15W input power its not necessary to make the diameter very large and there not very long either.

any good ideers?

Last edited by panduro; 11th January 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11th January 2013, 01:57 PM   #22
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Beyma's car series 12", Experience 12, Power 12
Old 11th January 2013, 04:07 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

BEFORE GOING TO THE 15" DRIVERS.
panduro, did you find anything yet?
If you would like the use of a 15", for looks, disregarding it's performance, then express that.
For a 10" driver (I don't know if you find it yourself, mail, price, likes, other) look at the Eminence LEGEND BP102. It's for a 90 liter box, real 92dB, F3~36Hz.
lean-business.co.uk

The 8" BEYMA 8WOOFER/P-V2 is also for a 90L box and gives 84.9 dB/2.83V/m F3=33Hz when tunned to 22Hz.
The 10" Beyma 10BR60V2 likes a big box (138L) but tunned to 25Hz in a 90L box gives 33/26/18 (F3/F6/F12) with 86 dB/2.83V/m.
I didn't check the 15W power drive for the 100dB SPL, that's your mission and report back.
Old 11th January 2013, 07:16 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

thank you for all your answers, its much appriciated

Beyma power 12 freq looks very good. 102db 25W/4ohm f3 27hz with a very nice curve. But must admit that i have never heard a nice sounding heavy coned car driver that sounded very good without a **** load of power stuffed up its erhhhmm terminals .

eminence models pretty well in a 90L cab, and does 103 db with 20w/6ohm, f3 31hz with a pretty good curve.

yes i like the look of a big woofer, the bigger the better. but not enoughf that im willing to sacrifice sq.

I just like the sound and sensitivity of the lighter cones.

reason for 15 insted of 12 was sensitivity only, hoped i could find 3 or 4 db extra compared to a 12inch with the same wattage.

But if im going to 12" anyways, maybe i should steal one of the jbl 120h1 i got im my ht currently.(can substitute that with a 15 or 18, ohh **** ill never stop)
that would give me 103,5db LOL 20W/6ohm f3 32hz with a curve a bit better than the eminence but not as good as the beyma power 12.

best regards

panduro

Last edited by panduro; 11th January 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11th January 2013, 07:31 PM   #25
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Panduro you have to remember that sensitivity is a double edged sword----to fully utilize the sensitivity of a given driver, you have to build an appropriately sized enclosure.

Sensitivity is not some Godly gift that a speaker has no matter what. You can severely cripple that advantage by stuffing a speaker in a smaller-than-optimum enclosure and/or too low of a tuning. In this case you're trying to do both with 90L AND 27 Hz tuning. If you haven't modeled the 15xb in such an enclosure, I highly suggest you do---because you can't escape Hoffman's iron law; want small and low, then sensitivity HAS to suffer. At those low frequencies our hearing is so insensitive, you need all the sensitivity you can get to keep up with the high stuff.
Old 11th January 2013, 07:56 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hi oscar,

Yes i did sim the 15xb. well 2 different 15xb's actually.

Yes i know you can never get the full sensitivity in a smaller than optimal enclosure, but i expected i could get a bit of it with only a small penalty ...

first i used the pre-entered data in winisd, that was a very good response curve, the reason for the 27hz tuning wasnt to be able to play that low, but to shape the response curve to what i thought was almost perfect for my room.

then i re-enterede the data on the 15xb from the fane website into winisd. that gave me a COMPLETELY different result, much worse... and not usable for my project...

I know, will have to stick with the 12 then

best regards

panduro

Last edited by panduro; 11th January 2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11th January 2013, 08:03 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

thought hoffmans law meant that that i have to sacrifice one=

small + extension= bad powerhandling.
small + powerhandling= bad extension.
have i misunderstood the old bastard, hate that guy????
Old 11th January 2013, 08:40 PM   #28
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panduro View Post
thought hoffmans law meant that that i have to sacrifice one=

small + extension= bad powerhandling.
small + powerhandling= bad extension.
have i misunderstood the old bastard, hate that guy????
Size, efficiency, and extension are the "pick 2" factors, NOT power handling.
Old 11th January 2013, 08:47 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Hi and thanks for your answer,

i'll try to remember that

best regards

panduro
Old 14th January 2013, 03:11 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

On the low power thing, can you "cheat" by running a 4ohm driver, or two drivers?

Hide this!Advertise here!